A project of Dr. Sarah Higinbotham's Oxford students
Literature Mixtapes
“Antonio’s Mixtape: Bassanio I think you (Bassani)-know I love you” (Ayaka Smart)

1. Antonio has a strong pull to this song because of the unequal love it describes. Bruno Mars, like Antonio, would, “die for [his love] but [they] won’t do the same.” Bruno Mars’ reminiscence over his lover’s disregard for his well-being mirrors the feelings Antonio has after he almost dies for Bassanio. The song is composed in a minor key and is simultaneously a love ballad and a heartbreak anthem. Antonio’s love for Bassanio is sad and dark, tormented by a looming sword and dying commitment, yet concomitantly a passionate devotion. This is the song Antonio angrily belts as he prepares for Shylock to cut a pound of his flesh as revenge for the money he borrowed from Bassanio.

2. In the song ‘All I Ask’ by Adele she seeks comfort in her lover as they approach their relationship’s end. The ending is not out of a lack of love, but rather logistical or circumstantial settings that don’t allow them to be together. In Merchant of Venice, Antonio feels the same heartbreak when he is anticipating his death and all he wants to do is be with Bassanio. He even goes as far to write to him, beckoning him to his deathbed, “It is impossible I should live, all debts are cleared between you and I if I might but see you at my death. Notwithstanding, use your pleasure. If your love do not persuade you to come, let not my letter” (3.2.330-334). Antonio makes the same call Adele does when she sings, “I know there is no tomorrow, all I ask is… hold me like I’m more than just a friend”. This tragic embracement of closure and acceptance is mirrored in both the experiences of Adele and Antonio. 

3. Antonio would do anything for his love for Bassanio, despite the circumstances not allowing them to be together. Similarly, Zac Efron in ‘Rewrite the Stars’ tries to convince his lover that their future is possible despite the adversity keeping them apart. Yet Zendaya is practical and questioning how they can try to even defy societal norms, reminding him, “fate is pullin’ you miles away.” Antonio feels drawn to this song that also struggles with feeling like you are being pulled away, both emotionally and physically, from his partner. Though unlike ‘The Greatest Showman’, there is no happily ever after for Antonio and Bassanio, so until then he plays ‘Rewrite the Stars’ on repeat. 

4. During Bassanio’s departure to Belmont, ‘Call Out My Name’ could be heard echoing from Antonio’s chambers in Venice. This song is about a man who helped pick up the pieces of a girl when she was broken, but when she was whole again, she discarded their relationship. Antonio relates to this song on a deep level because it articulates the struggle of feeling like glue to a broken person and then being thrown away when you are no longer needed. Just like The Weeknd tells his ex, Antonio could tell Bassanio, “I almost cut a piece of myself for your life.” The longing and devoted love that is not reciprocated strikes a cord of sadness and frustration with Antonio and therefore ‘Call out My Name’ was likely his #1 played on Spotify Wrapped 1500.

5. Similar to how he relates to ‘Rewrite the Stars’ Antonio would love the 2000s hit ‘I want It That Way’ because it is a relatable ballad to a love separated by societal binds. Antonio and Bassanio clearly care about each other, though it is unclear how real Bassanio’s intentions are, if they lived in modern times many assume they would be gay. Yet because of the time they live in Antonio and Bassanio, “are two worlds apart, can’t reach to your heart.” In another world, Antonio and Bassanio would be able to be together but even the thought of dreaming about that is too painful, so like the Backstreet Boys sang about, they don’t want to think about the ways it could’ve been different. But maybe if they saw how modern homosexuality was far more acceptable maybe they would say ‘I Want it That Way.’

6. An iconic staple of Taylor Swift’s discography would also be a staple of Antonio’s karaoke nights with Bassanio. His rendition would include a direct point at Bassanio sitting next to Portia as he would sing, “If you could see that I’m the one who understands you, been here all along so, why can’t you see?” Taylor Swift sings about wanting someone who is not treated right by their partner at all, yet they cannot see that. Just like Taylor Swift, Antonio must feel like Portia and all her tricks display that she doesn’t really care about Bassanio as he does. Antonio has been in Bassanio’s life for much longer and the bond they share is true, meaning that Bassanio belongs with Antonio. 

7. Throughout the play we see Antonio putting his feelings aside for Bassanio, allowing him to find love with someone else and putting his life on the line for it. In ‘Satisfied’ from the iconic play Hamilton, Angelica gives up her desire for Alexander Hamilton so he can be with her sister because societal structures don’t allow Angelica to be with him so she helps him be with Eliza. Antonio would relate deeply to Angelica’s sentiment that, “Alexander is penniless, that doesn’t mean I want him any less.” A hopeless love that is kept at bay is shown in both these plays, and Antonio and Angelica Skyler follow similar heartbreaking plots of confining their own love not only because of society but also for the happiness and success of the one they love.