A project of Dr. Sarah Higinbotham's Oxford students
Literature Mixtapes
“Satan’s Mixtape: The Comeback” (Connor Ross)

1. In this 2003 hit song, 50 Cent lets listeners know about the try on his life, where he was shot 9 times. Although 50 Cent’s almost hypnotizing chorus leaves the listeners stunned, his lines “I’m the diamond in the dirt, that ain’t been found, I’m the underground king and I ain’t been crowned” really resonates with Satan’s character in Paradise Lost. Satan has been tormented in Hell, but now wants his revenge, similar to 50 Cent. Satan would also majorly relate to being the “underground king” as he believes he is the king of Hell. 

2. In “6PM in New York,” Drake is firing shots at what seems like every other artist in the scene. In other words, Drake is not scared of any outcome, because of the power he knows he has within the rap game. Drake states, “They scream out my failures and whisper my accomplishments.” this relates to Satan as although he is a fallen angel, he knows he was in heaven for a reason and knows the power he has. Satan knows he is the leader, and no other demon can be on his level of evilness, as Satan enjoys his evil actions. 

3. Although this song may not have the lyricism of the previous two songs, the emotional feelings that arise in the listener give the sensation of a sort of savageness. A feeling of not caring and acting in a outlandish manner are given, especially in the lines, “Extortin’ shit just like the 80s, once I’m back, get it in blood (ayy, on God) Yeah, you know who took that s*** from you (ayy), come get it back in blood (big blrrd, blrrd).” Satan’s relation to this song involves his actions against God and attacking God in a place he knows it’ll hurt. Satan would have used this song as a hype song on his way to influence sin. 

4. Out of this entire list of songs, I believe this is quite possibly the best hype song for Satan. As Satan gathered his fallen army in Hell in Book 1, “He spake: and to confirm his words, out-flew- Millions of flaming swords, drawn from the thighs” (1, 643-44). While in this song, Playboi Carti, is gathering his friends and all the people he knows are loyal to him. This song is overall a very powerful song, as Playboi Carti’s opening lines state, “When them vamps outside, lil’ b****, you better be ready When them guns outside, lil’ b****, you better be ready.” This upbeat song really arises emotions in someone where they are not scared of any outcome, which is why I listen to it while snowboarding or doing anything that involves confidence. 

5. This R&B song plays a lot to Satan’s soft side. This side of Satan is shown in Paradise Lost book IV, when Satan is displayed as a sad, miserable creature devoid of hope. This is a very different from the vibe given in Vamp Anthem, but as Juice WRLD says, “I think I need new beginnings, I think the demons are winning, They beat me up” Satan feels betrayed by an all loving God and his inner demons start to come back to ruin Gods happiness. Furthermore, in this song, Juice WRLD repeats the lyrics, “Can’t ever do right, can’t lose this fight, I’m already low” and this line fully relates to Satan, as Satan cannot lose as he has already lost everything. 

6. “Ride on Em” by NBA Youngboy is a good example of a song I believe Satan would listen to on his way to manipulate Eve to commit sin. In the song, NBA Youngboy raps, “You want with me thats a bet it could go to that level, Ain’t squashing nothing b**** is up just had a talk with the devil.” For Satan, this song is motivation, even ironic stating, “just had a talk with the devil” as he himself is the devil. So, in a way Satan knows what evil he’s about to commit, as he had just talked with himself about it. 

7. “Merci Beaucoup” by Pop Smoke documents the events of the fall of humanity. In the song “Merci Beaucoup” Pop Smoke sings, “Run down, gun tucked, tool on me, tool on me (grrrt, woo) Rah Swish, Pop Smoke (Pop Smoke), they do not know what you started.” Satan connects to these lyrics as he is consistently ‘running up’ on Adam and Eve specifically. Although Satan doesn’t have a “gun” or “tool” his weapon of choice is deception and manipulation as he ‘runs up’ on Eve. Satan would also relate to the end of the song when Pop Smoke starts talking to the listener from “Heaven” exclaiming, “Be in control of your own s***, of your own creations// Know what I’m sayin’? Like be a creator (wait)// Like, I feel, like, when you create your s***// When you know what you want, know what I mean? (Wait)// Don’t let nobody get in between you and your creation.” Satan would find this almost ironic as he was the one to get between God and his creation.