A project of Dr. Sarah Higinbotham's Oxford students
Literature Mixtapes
“Hopkins’ Mixtape: Piety is Perfection” (Danny Lombardi)

1. This song is about someone who finds himself in a committed relationship. Despite this the person in the song reflects back on a lover he had in the older days of his life. I chose this song for Hopkins because it shows the struggle he had moving from his old life to his new one in the Catholic church. He probably often looked back it what his life could’ve been had he not decided to convert. “Even now I think about you as I’m climbing up the stairs”

2. This song is about the sad life of the painter Vincent van Gogh. In this song, it talks about the isolation that Vincent felt in his relationships. I feel like Hopkins would relate to this song because he would find himself isolated in his intelligence and his unique way of thinking and also after the abandonment of his family. I also think that most artists can relate to the struggle of having the mental health issues that come with possessing a great mind. “They would not listen, they did not know how Perhaps they’ll listen now”

3. This song was written for a friend of Garfunkel’s after he started his friend went blind. I feel like Hopkins could’ve related to this song because he had would’ve experienced the darkness that comes with being alone with one’s own thoughts. In addition, he was Jesuit who went through the Spiritual Exercises in which he would’ve been alone with his thoughts. “In restless dreams I walked alone”

4. This song is about a person who is struggling to be accepted by society as a gay persono. Hopkins struggled with his sexuality and expressed it in lots of his writing. As a gay man, I feel like this song encapsulates lots of the struggles of a gay person which is why I think Hopkins would definitely have it on his playlist. In fact, I think Hopkins could have written a song like this
“Offer me that deathless death Good God, let me give you my life”

5. This song is a letter written to someone who has gone away. In this letter, he talks about all the things that miss the person, and how he hopes they are doing okay. This song makes me think about the letters that Hopkins wrote and the playful banter that they contained. In addition, I am sure that Hopkins missed his old life to some extent and may have even explored, in writing, what his life would’ve been like without converting to a Jesuit. “And tell me have you really found The peace and calm we’ve all been lookin’ for”

6. This song is about a relationship between someone that Gaga feels is toxic for her. Despite this, she can’t help but feel attracted to them. I think this encapsulates a lot of what Hopkins feels about nature. He so deeply loves nature, but he has devoted himself to God. As a result he has this battle between his love of nature and his love for God, creating a sort of “Bad Romance”. “I want your horror, I want your design Cause you’re a criminal as long as you’re mine I want your love”

7. This is a song from a later part in Freddie Mercury’s career in which he talks about his role as performer and how he has fulfilled his destiny. In addition, the song’s title Made in Heaven captures how many works of art seem to come from heaven or some outside inspiration because they are so powerful. As a Jesuit, I feel like Hopkins would’ve felt that his life was totally in service of the “greater glory of God”(a common Jesuit phrase), or as Hopkins said, ”All glory be ascribed to the holy three in one”. Because of this I think he would’ve felt that his actions were ultimately a part of some greater plan that God had set aside for him which aligns with the songs’s theme of destiny. “I’m taking my ride with destiny”