A project of Dr. Sarah Higinbotham's Oxford students
Literature Mixtapes
“Shylock’s Musings” (Rohan Kaushal)

“Shylock’s Musings” (Rohan Kaushal)

1. Yeah, everybody got problems and we all fightin’ this big war. But your problems are different, you got nothin’ to live for

This song fits because the general mood is grim and about feeling desperate and hopeless about ones’ own situation. This song also touches on themes of suicide and I think that it is safe to assume that with the terrible situation Shylock found himself he must have thought about it at least once. In this song also has Hopsin deal with self doubt when compared to other artists which I want to think could work as an analogy for Shylock wondering why being a Jew warrants him not being treated or respected as well as someone like Antonio. Shylock would probably listen to this song if he was feeling down in the dumps emotionally. Additionally, this song touches on ways to get revenge which I feel like Shylock can relate to.

2. Oh, the misery, Everybody wants to be my enemy

I think Shylock would really relate to this song as it talks about how everyone is set against the singer of the song and how they will talk and plot behind their back. The verse with the rapper JID also addresses this idea of being ready to deal back the pain and treachery that has been caused to oneself. The general mood of this song is also very fight like which I feel corresponds to how Shylock is near the end of the play when Shylock takes his tormenters to court to try and get justice for himself. Imagine Dragons is an indie rock band as such they make good use of vocals in their songs in conjunction with drums and guitar; I think Shylock would vibe with this. Shylock also probably feels pretty miserable that the whole world is stacked against him like the quote I picked says.

3. Cause when it comes to bein’ lucky, she’s cursed, When it comes to lovin’ me, she’s worst, But when it comes to bein’ loved, she’s first

I picked this one in the context of Jessica’s betrayal. This song is about one’s firstborn child being ungrateful and non-reciprocal in giving love but being very clear and needy in terms of getting love. I think the title is also appropriate because I believe it is Jessica’s betrayal that hurts Shylock the most especially because that is his little girl. His wife is dead, presumably, and as far as we know Jessica is his only family and so that “first cut” indeed strikes the deepest. It’s a bittersweet song about fatherhood which I think Shylock would like. 

4. Just another knife in my back, Pull ’em out and watch my pain pour out, Always the ones you hold the closest, Always the ones you thought you trusted

This is another song I would dedicate to Shylock’s feelings about Jessica: partially. This song talks about being betrayed by the people that are closest to you and the desire to seek revenge because of the pain it causes you. I would also say that this song applies to how Shylock probably feels about the Venetian justice system and how he felt going into the trial. Shylock is hurt and furious and wants revenge and “a little bit more” as he goes to extract the pound of flesh from Antonio. I also think that the presence of ukulele in this song adds a unique atmosphere and perhaps even a bit of an italian feel as it could sound like someone plucking strings on a violin.

5. Oh, man, what a world, the things I hear, If I could act on my revenge, then, oh, would I?

I believe that the quote I selected from this song applies to the discrimination Shylock faces as a Jew. Adding on, I think that Shylock experiences a lot of hopelessness about changing his situation and his treatment and he would probably relate to the line about rotting in his grave not doing anything. Other than that I think this song is a perfect song that someone would listen to in a sad mood. The vocals are somber and low pitched and the mood of the song feels like a song someone would drink to on a rainy night. There is also the part about digging two graves, a reference to how destructive revenge is, and I think that Shylock would feel strongly about this line if he were to think about his daughter.

6. You’re just scared of being alone, Using me as someone to hold

I’d like to think Shylock listens to this song when he thinks about the farce that is the relationship between Antonio and Bassanio. Lyric wise the only connection I can really make here is the one I selected above. I think Bassanio only loves Antonio out of convenience and greed and Antonio is too genuine and loving to call it out. I am sure other people see it. Shylock definitely has to notice especially at the trial when he can mentally gauge all that Bassanio has done for Antonio versus how much Antonio has done for Bassanio.

7. I wish that you’d just let me go, I don’t want this, I promise, just leave me alone

The quote I picked above is meant to represent Shylock’s thought process when Portia goes after him with malicious intent in the court of law. This song has a lot of mention of being choked and faded which Shylock could probably relate to as the sheer panic of being in that courtroom probably felt like he was choking and could not catch his breath. Extreme panic and fear can have physical side effects. On top of that the song mentions trying to escape and not succeeding because their body is breaking. I think this applies to how towards the end of the trial it almost seems like Shylock is in shock as he realizes the extent of the violation of his human rights that has occurred.