A project of Dr. Sarah Higinbotham's Oxford students
Literature Mixtapes
“Viola’s Struggle” (Siyang Wang)

“Viola’s Struggle” (Siyang Wang)

1. Hey, what you doing with a girl like that?

Viola’s love for Orsino is unrequited, and Orsino even asks her to woo Olivia for him. In Viola’s conversations with Olivia, it’s clear that Viola doesn’t like Olivia and finds her bothersome. Viola expresses her feeling for Olivia: “I see you what you are. You are too proud” (1.5.250). In such a situation, Viola does not understand why Orsino would love such a lady. This song expresses Viola’s inner feelings about how she would be a better match for Orsino and Olivia doesn’t deserve his love. The quote above perfectly demonstrates Viola’s confusion, anger, and eagerness to marry
Orsino.

2. Heaven knows how you lied to me. You’re not the way you seemed.

Disguise is a major theme in Twelfth Night, and Viola knows that her disguise changed both Orsino and Olivia’s lives. Throughout the play, Viola’s feeling is the most intricate since she has a woman’s emotion while acting like a man. “…I swear I am not that I play” (1.5.182). Viola gives a little clue about her own identity but is taken as a joke by the others. If wise characters can understand Feste’s disguise, no one understands Viola’s true identity, making her a lonely character. In times of
desperation, Viola listens to this song that appeals to herself.

3. How could I make a man out of you?

The story and theme of this song are naturally related to Viola. Mulan, who disguised herself as a man to join the army for his father, demonstrates courage and wisdom and eventually proves her strength. In Twelfth Night, Viola decides to use her unique way to fight for status in Illyria. Like Mulan, Viola disguises herself as a man and carries the burden of a man’s duty and a woman’s sensitive emotion. Struggling to live a normal life, Viola says, “[a]s I am man, My state is desperate for my master’s love. As I am woman (now, alas the day!), What thriftless sighs shall poor Olivia breathe!” (2.3.36-39). In this scene, Viola realizes the difficulty of disguising herself as a man; with a
sigh, she wonders how she could be a real man.

Several included songs are not available on Spotify. For the next several songs, links to YouTube precede explanatory notes.

“No No No” by Zach Condon.

Don’t know the first thing about who you are.

This song reminds me of Viola’s first encounter with Olivia. After realizing Olivia loves her, Viola says in her monologue: “Disguise, I see thou art a wickedness” (2.2.27). Here, Viola is frustrated by her disguise since it results in a completely unexpected outcome. Not knowing Viola’s true identity, Olivia loves a woman who is disguised as a man. Viola is surprised that a woman who doesn’t really

know who she is could have a crush on her at first sight, and it was the result of disguise.

“Try” by Alicia Beth Moore. 

Why do we fall in love so easy/Even when it’s not right?
Where there is a flame, someone’s bound to get burned
But just because it burns doesn’t mean you’re gonna die

This song is inspirational and encourages people to try despite knowing it’s wrong and the consequence might be painful. When Viola decides to disguise herself as a man, she takes the burden and risks that few have had. Viola is surprised to learn that Olivia loves her unreasonably, but she also realizes that her love for Orsino can also be unfounded. In the end, Viola decides to cope with her dilemma and follow Orsino. “I have taken great pains to con it” (1.5.172). The lyrics remind Viola that she will suffer to disguise herself as a man, but the consequence can be good. In the end,
her efforts paid off, and Orsino married her.

4. You can walk straight through hell with a smile How you ever gonna know if you never even try?
And you’ll be on the walls of the Hall of Fame

This is a song that Viola listens to cheer herself up. In Twelfth Night, Viola demonstrates confidence and resourcefulness, but she still fears that others will discover her true identity because she is not a real man. “A little thing would make me tell them how much I lack of a man” (3.4.314-316). Viola listens to this song to empower herself through the dilemma she faces throughout the play. This song is inspirational to Viola so that she can overcome the difficulties she encountered in Illyria.

5. Your words cut deeper than a knife
Now I need someone to breathe me back to life

The song depicts a desperate man who was left by his love. Viola’s pain is no less than what’s been depicted in this song after she says, “Whoe’er I woo, myself would be his wife” (1.5.46). While Orsino’s words are not intended to hurt Viola, Viola is tormented to receive Orsino’s words which essentially remind Viola that the man she loves has a crush on another woman, and she must woo that woman for him. To Viola, Orsino’s “words cut deeper than a knife,” and she desperately needs
someone to understand and sympathize with her.