A project of Dr. Sarah Higinbotham's Oxford students
Literature Mixtapes
“Bassiano’s Playlist: Why I deserve everything I’ve ever wanted” (Skylar Honeycutt)

1. I’d argue that Bassanio is the original material girl. He actually admits to living far above his means when he says “How much I have disabled mine estate / By something showing a more swelling port / Than my faint means would grant continuance” implying that he has indeed been a material girl (1.1.130-132). He’s been living lavishly and is indebted to Antonio; then his plan to get out of this debt is to marry a rich woman. As Madonna says “Cause the boy with the cold hard cash / Is always Mister Right” which might as well be Bassanio’s own personal saying (“Material Girl”). I don’t know the reasons behind his relationship with Antonio, but I do know the only reason he wants to be with Portia is because of her money. Though it seems Bassanio truly does love Antonio, I can’t rule out that, maybe, part of his relationship with Antonio might be motivated by his materialistic wants. Whatever his feelings, I can’t deny that he is for sure a material girl. 

2. “Die For You” has major Bassanio vibes. He’s willing to do almost anything to save Antonio when he receives his letter pleading for him to come back to Venice in Act 3, Scene 3. The lyrics that really resonate to Bassanio are in the main chorus, “Even though we’re goin’ through it / And it makes you feel alone / Just know that I would die for you” which are reminiscent of the situation Bassanio and Antonio are in (“Die For You”). They are both surely going through it, being in a gay relationship in the sixteen-hundreds, as well as being in the situation where Shylock is demanding the death of Bassanio. No doubt do they both feel alone, especially Antonio because they are so far away from each other without their support. The song itself, the beat, and the message, certainly resonate with Bassanio’s character.

3. Bassanio’s relationship with Antonio plays a major role in The Merchant of Venice. If Bassanio hadn’t asked Antonio for help with money, and Antonio had not loved Bassanio so much that he did, the main conflict never would have happened. “In Your Eyes” is yet another song that I think would really resonate with Bassanio in that it would remind him of his relationship with Antonio. The lyrics “I know it hurts to smile, but you try to… You always try to hide the pain / You always know just what to say / I always look the other way / I’m blind” is reminiscent of what I imagine Bassanio sees in Antonio’s eyes when he says he needs to be married… to a woman (“In Your Eyes”). It’s heartbreaking of course, but Antonio knows that they must assimilate to societal heteronormativity, just as well as Bassanio does.

4. This song is 100% Bassanio’s anthem. He definitely thinks it’s about him- he is the man, and he likely uses it to hype himself up. I can just imagine him walking through the streets of Venice with this song playing. Also, the lyrics “‘Cause I’ve never heard about him with another girl” reminded me of Bassanio’s obviously romantic relationship with Antonio, and how Portia might think something like this in regards to him (“Whatta Man”). Overall, the song would puff up Bassanio’s already over-inflated ego, and maybe make him do a jaunty little walk to strut his stuff to the rich ladies (and men).

5. On the opposite side of the spectrum from “Whatta Man” sits “Want You Around” for Bassanio. Instead of hyping himself up, he’d play this song when he was sad and missing a certain someone. “Baby, I want you around,” would be the lyrics that resonated with him most, but I think this song might also remind him of Antonio in that, perhaps, he feels guilt over allowing Antonio to bargain with Shylock in the first place (“Want You Around). If Portia had not saved Antonio with her act in the courtroom, this probably would’ve been the number one most listened-to song by Bassanio, because his lover would be dead, and it’d pretty much be on him. 

6. Bassanio seems to be a very fun-loving guy, intent on living lavish and having a good time doing it. “CITY OF ANGELS” perfectly describes this attitude, especially with the lyrics “I sold my soul to the devil for designer… the city of angels where I have my fun” but, more than acknowledging Bassanio’s attitude, this could be a rip at Shylock. Shylock is referred to as a devil at least once in the play, and though Bassanio’s soul isn’t technically sold to him, Antonio’s essentially is– and for Bassanio’s sake no less (“CITY OF ANGELS”). The “city of angels” line in particular could be seen as another stab at Jewish people as a whole, perhaps implying that Venice, or the city of angels, should be a place for Christians only. After their victory and Shylock’s downfall, I could just imagine Antonio and Bassanio partying to this one, maybe along with a dartboard that has Shylock’s face taped to it.

7.  This song, this right here, is what Bassanio uses to romance his Ms. (and Mr.) Moneyba– I mean genuine love interests. This song is putting on the charm thick, which is reminiscent of how Bassanio acts towards Portia so he can secure her money the only way he knows how: romancin’. The lines “I’m so in love, so deep in love/ You made my life complete / You are so sweet” would likely make any of Bassanio’s conquests swoon, and he would use it to his advantage (“Differences”). Bassanio would for sure do almost anything to impress (hence the entire plot of the play) and I could definitely imagine him pulling a Say Anything-esque boombox scene with this one. After all, he probably thinks he deserves everything he’s ever wanted at all– including people love and their money.