Student Spotlights

Meet Our African Studies Students

Dessy Epie | African Studies Minor | Class of 2022

FUN FACTS

I was born in Yaounde, Cameroon but my family is anglophone.

I am a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow.

I am currently involved in with Justice for Cameroon (follow us on Instagram @justiceforcameroon), Zuri African Dance Troupe, Black Mental Health Ambassadors, Emory SGA.

I am also majoring in philosophy.

WHY DID YOU MINOR IN AFRICAN STUDIES?

I wanted to learn more about Africa as a continent and the ways in which colonialism and neocolonialism affect the continent and its inhabitants.

I also wanted to be more knowledgeable about the history behind the continent so it could inform my activist work and allow me to have more to contribute in conversations with my family.

FAVORITE AFRICAN STUDIES CLASS?

“Globalization and Transnational Identities” with Dr. Bayo Holsey was definitely one of my favorite classes.

We focused on interpreting not only what the political and economic structures of globalization look like “on the ground” but also what these processes feel like and how they shape people’s identities.

ADVICE TO SOMEONE CONSIDERING AN AFRICAN STUDIES MAJOR OR MINOR?

If you’re considering it then I think you should start off with a minor and if you see yourself taking multiple AFS classes then definitely work on a major.

The classes are really interesting and there is a lot of cross-listing so you get to have experience talking about gender, sexuality, religion, etc. 

Mary Yeboah | African Studies Major | Class of 2024

FUN FACTS

I enjoy singing and playing the guitar.

I am the co-creator of “We The Africans Club” and was featured in the Emory Wheel.

I am currently involved in Volunteer Emory, STEM Pathway, Emory Reads, and the VOIS singing group.  I also assist the African Studies Department whenever I am free. Outside of Emory, I am the Vice President of the Atlanta United Ghanaian Youth  Alliance. 

I am a dual major and will be majoring in nursing on the premed pathway.

WHY DID YOU MINOR IN AFRICAN STUDIES?

My first interest in African Studies emerged when I realized I could not stop asking questions about the African continent. Despite being met with unanswered questions and gaps within the continent’s history, my passion fueled me to dig more. My freshmen seminar with Dr. Rucker’s was the tipping of the ice for me.

FAVORITE AFRICAN STUDIES CLASS?

That’s hard to answer! I will say my class with Dr. Candido (Slavery and Abolition in Africa) and Dr. Bayo (Trans-Atlantic Connections) are some of my favorites. 

There is so much to learn about the continent and each class within the department will introduce you to a new concept. You will also be met with more questions that require historical analysis.

There is so much room to learn more so don’t be afraid to challenge yourself to go beyond what is taught in the classroom.

Rachel Ofokotun | African Studies Major | Class of 2022

FUN FACTS

I recently learned how to crochet and it’s my new favorite pastime.

I’ve written and presented my own musical compositions while working with professional musicians, friends, dancers, and other students here at Emory and internationally. Seeing my creative ideas come to fruition makes me feel incredibly proud and fulfilled.

I’m involved with Emory’s Gamelan Ensemble and PAWSitive Outreach.

I am also majoring in Music Composition.

WHY DID YOU MINOR IN AFRICAN STUDIES?

I chose to major in African Studies because I wanted to bolster my knowledge on a part of the world that I felt I knew little about.

Additionally, I wanted to de-emphasize the Eurocentric history I’d learned in grade school and feel more knowledgeable about my own Nigerian roots.

FAVORITE AFRICAN STUDIES CLASS?

My favorite African themed course was Black Women’s Speculative Fiction with Dr. Michelle M. Wright.

This was cross listed as an African studies course for me, and I learned a lot about the African diaspora through the books we read. I love fiction, and the characters and stories we read in this class were engaging and enjoyable to read about.

My advice for anyone considering a major or minor in African studies is to keep an open mind and heart; you’ll learn way more than just historical facts and academic knowledge in some of these courses.