Bernard: Food and Family

A dish that is important to me and represents my family is spaghetti with tomato sauce and ground turkey. During my childhood and into adult life, I have shared this meal and experiences with my family regularly. I can remember beginning in my early childhood that my mother made this dish regularly, and my family shared our daily experiences together around the dinner table as we enjoyed this dish together. We typically ate this dish once per week. I can remember the aroma coming from the kitchen as my mother made the tomato sauce and the spices she used to perfect the sauce. She used basil, black and cayenne pepper, salt and garlic among other spices and seasonings to flavor the sauce. When the meal was served, we all used different cheeses to accompany the meal, with my favorites being grated parmesan cheese and sometimes mozzarella.

My favorite aspects of the dish are its richness, heartiness, flavor and aroma. The elements of the tomato sauce and ground turkey merge to create a robust, savory profile that infuses the spaghetti noodles. The spaghetti noodles carry the flavor of the sauce through with every bite. For me, the dish represents continuity, unity, harmony and comfort. More than any dish, spaghetti with tomato sauce and ground turkey has been the meal that my family has consistently enjoyed together. Through family issues and disagreements, we found time to have dinner together, with our meal serving as mediator, reuniting us physically and in spirit. I can remember tension easing and exuberant laughter and cheerfulness growing around our family table as we shared spaghetti with tomato sauce and ground turkey. Into my adult life, I have also enjoyed this meal as I have started a family with my wife. We typically eat spaghetti with tomato sauce and ground turkey once every two weeks. Coincidentally, this meal has become the most consistent meal of my life, providing continuity across time, family and geography, as I grew up with this meal in Montgomery, AL and now enjoy this meal with my wife and hopefully children to come in our home in Mableton, GA outside of metropolitan Atlanta. I now see that spaghetti and tomato sauce with ground turkey has been foundational in my life and traveled with me through life’s journey and my maturation. The ripened tomato and mature turkey and wheat in the meal have nourished me and my physical growth, but also have cultivated my emotional growth and the fond memories I have of my family, both old and new.

My wife’s recipe brings back childhood memories of family unity and harmony, laughter and joy. My wife and I have also created our own memories with this meal at the center. We have shared this meal in apartments where we lived and had the meal for the first time in our first house purchased last year. We have shared this meal during courtship, our year of engagement and now during our marriage. I see this meal for my family both old and new, playing an important role in our memories for years to come.

There have been discussions by historians that spaghetti originated in China and was taken to Europe through trade. There is also thought that spaghetti was migrated by Berbers through Europe. However, many accounts state that Marco Polo during his travels brought spaghetti to Europe from China during one of his trips in the 13th century. Spaghetti most likely traveled the Silk Road from China on its way to Europe and then to the Americas. Noodles such as spaghetti play an integral role in Chinese and Italian cuisine and culture. Noodle focused meals are at the center of family meals, traditions and history. Chinese and Italian culture share the various noodle types that have shaped global cuisine and memories for my family and other around the world. On the other hand, the tomato used to produce the sauce for spaghetti and tomato sauce with ground turkey is from the Americas. The tomato, coming from the Aztec word “xitomatl” was likely brought to Europe in the 16th century. The tomato now serves as a staple for sauces fused with noodles to create Italian cuisine, which is also enjoyed globally, particularly in the United States. Turkey also shares a closeness with the Americas and traditions of the United States. Thinking of a dish that represents a country, none stand out more than Turkey and its representation as the symbol of America and the tradition of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving in America represents a certain unity, bringing together groups of diverse cultures, backgrounds, and histories around a common goal: giving thanks with our families and friends. The fond memories I have of sharing spaghetti and tomato sauce with ground turkey include the memories of festive family times and remind me of food’s ability to produce harmony, continuity and joy.

1        

1 Briggs, Deborah. “Pasta with Meat Sauce.” Epicurious, April 1992, https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pasta-with-meat-sauce-1724.

1A recipe for spaghetti with tomato sauce and ground turkey:

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 pound ground turkey

1 large onion, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled

1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, drained, chopped

1 8-ounce can tomato sauce

16 ounces spaghetti, freshly cooked

1 cup grated Parmesan

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook until brown, breaking up with fork, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer turkey to plate. Add onion and garlic to skillet and sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, basil, oregano, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper and continue cooking 1 minute. Return turkey to skillet; add tomatoes, tomato sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until sauce is thick, about 30 minutes. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.) Toss pasta with sauce and 3/4 cup grated Parmesan in large bowl. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan over pasta.

One Reply to “Bernard: Food and Family”

1. Hi, Bernard, thanks for sharing with us your favorite dish, spaghetti with ground turkey in tomato sauce. It seems to me that this dish has accompanied many of your fondest memories. Your mom seems quite the chef–the seasoning she used must have brought out the best favors of the ingredients! I can imagine how delicious the spaghetti is. I’m glad that you have such a dish to turn to whenever you desire some consistency and stability in your life. As it has been a staple during your childhood, I’m sure this dish will provide some wonderful memories for your children. In a loving family such as the one you grew up in and the one you and your wife are building, children will enjoy the food their parents prepare for them with love–and the time they shall consume the meals together. Perhaps you could cook this dish together with your children; I’m sure they’ll enjoy it very much.