A Love Letter

You are the heart of the home

The best arome

In you, I find comfort.

In you, I find good slumber

You bring everyone together in unity 

Like the land of opportunity

Your colors and shapes bring me joy

And I don’t mean to annoy 

But I can have you anyday

In every way

I may indulge in others

But do go into wonders

Because you will always be the one

Even if the day has just begun 

God bless your versatility 

Because I am never bored with you

And your looks are my favorite hue 

Remember your power to keep me together

Because there will not be another

You complete me in every way

Even on Taco Tuesday

Stay tasty 

And I’ll see you again, crazy.

My poem is an imitation of “Summons of the Soul” From Chu Ci, by Qu Yuan. I chose this poem because it was the most compelling in discussing food. In this poem, the poet discusses the food and almost praises its presence and look. The use of imagery is exemplified through the very detailed description of each food that the poet writes about. I learned that this poet enjoys being particular and detailed in his/her delivery in order to be clear on what is to be said. In the poem, the poet talks about the food like it’s the greatest thing ever and I imitated that by creating a love poem to Noodles. I also learned that the poet’s culture may consist of feasts at home. The diet in this culture is very clear from the different animals that are cooked and included in the feast. From writing this piece, I realized that my culture isn’t really big on noodles. While making this love poem, I was thinking about my favorite West African dish in order to write it. The love and obsession that I claim for the noodles was a projection of my love for a completely different dish which allowed me to get creative.

One Reply to “A Love Letter”

1. Fantagbe, this is a very interesting poem. We enjoyed it very much. Your reflection, on the other hand, is a bit too general and unsupported with details. We wish you’d elaborate upon your answers to the five prompt questions, and perhaps make some references to course materials and outside sources.