Dan Dan Noodles Creative Piece- Francesca Cabada

White is the thinly sifted flour,

water is then poured little by little in the bowl.

The flour, egg, salt, and water are combined,

fresh dough comes from the stirring of our hands.

From the dough ball a sharp dry knife quickly cuts,

Chinese homemade noodles ready to boil.

Greens of the choy sum peak through the pale noodles,

bathed in the red pepper chili oil.

Slurped through my puckered lips,

the heat grazing and greeting my taste buds.

The warmth of the noodle lighting,

a fire within me to pass along the message.

I am afraid to venture on only to be stopped,

but the need still persists.

A warming gift for the soul,

wrapped in gold and bronze pork bits.

On an iron throne she too,

awaits the flavors of the dan dan noodles.

I chose to imitate the Cold Noodle Soup with Sophora Leaves by Du Fu (712-770). I chose this piece in particular because it was written so beautifully. Although I have never tried cold noodle soup, I was able to visualize the flavors of this dish. I could relate it to a similar experience of me eating other noodles in a fire Ramen shop in Kyoto, Japan. The noodles were actually spicy and extremely hot because they are cooked using fire but the depiction of the green leaves, vegetables, and temperature/textures of the noodles in the poem took me back to my experience in Kyoto.

From the reading I was able to understand the deep-rooted history of the noodle in China. I can see that as early as the 700s AD the noodle has been enjoyed by many people. Moreover, being that there was a method to preparing cold noodle soup indicates that the tradition of eating noodles was already so advanced that there were many variations of preparation at such an early time period. The authors metaphors described the noodle dish as something elegant and honorable. Such as when Du Fu wrote that the noodles were “offer[ed] … like pearls” signifying that there is great pride in the China’s history with the permeation and consumption of the noodle.

While writing this peace I learned that my family too gives meaning to the dishes they make. Peru has a very large culinary scene and many of the people pride themselves in the beauty that the dishes carry. For me the poem highlighted that the noodle was more than just a meal of nourishment but actually a meal that fits any occasion, deserves to be shared, and should withstand the test of time. Similarly, in my cultural heritage food is not thought of as just a means of nourishment but they all carry their own messages. A hot noodle soup in the winter or when I am sick, is for warming and healing the body. A large plate of tallarines verdes (pesto like pasta) after an argument with my mother, is to remind me that I am loved and that she is sorry. While writing I was reminded of the impact food could have beyond just daily physical needs.

The cultural DNA embedded in the text is the notion that the noodle can be shared by all people from all over regardless of status. The poem describes this eagerness of showing off the noodles and that even thousands of miles away in “Cold Dew Palace” the ruler is also in need of the noodles. Indicating that this noodle dish was so great that it could transcend between class systems in ancient China, highlighting the importance, the noodle had in uniting people through the common cultural identity that is food.