Impact on Education: What About the Benefits??

It was extremely fascinating to hear from people who had influencing voices during the rapid shift to virtual learning and could provide insight into what the thought process behind certain choices was. I found it equally interesting that the individuals leading the Impact on Education seminar chose to focus only on the limitations of the virtual learning format. Although it is well known that the pandemic brought about several issues (such as isolation, depression, increased domestic abuse, etc.), one thing that came about—that I view as a positive—is the ability to work virtually and the positive consequences of this tool.

Despite the very notable issues associated with virtual learning, several benefits are also associated. For example, although mental health issues did arise as a result of virtual learning, for those that experience severe social anxiety, mental health issues may have been eased. For those that have complex and quickly moving class material, students were able to pause, slow down, and rewatch course lectures and therefore, have a more solid understanding of the material. When fatigue and hunger would set in during the middle of a lecture, students could pause the material, take a break and resume rejuvenated and focused. For students that have invisible disabilities (i.e., although they may appear perfectly able bodied, they face challenges) and may be unable to attend classes, they have easy access to lectures without having to provide medical information to the school/professors. While there are several challenges linked to online learning, these examples illustrate that there are also several positive outcomes of virtual learning which brings me to my next point. During the Impact on Education seminar, I was utterly shocked when one of the speakers mentioned that he was debating if he should or should not record and post lecture videos next semester. I was completely stunned at this statement because, a person in his position should be aware of not just the negatives related to virtual and hybrid learning, but also the associated benefits. Additionally, I was shocked at his statement because it minimizes the experience and needs of people with invisible disabilities, social anxiety, or students who get sick and prefer not to potentially infect their fellow classmates. In short, the virtual or hybrid format is a tool (not without limitations like other tools and approaches) that has been proven to be effective at enhancing productivity—below is an article that further details this. Ultimately, I hope that individuals in a position to influence change on campus will continue to speak to students about their experience, resources needed, etc. (this should not be the first and only time a forum type of discussion with students related to the impact of COVID occurs) and advocate for solutions that considers everyone and their unique needs. Additionally, I hope that professors and others realize the potential benefits of the virtual and/or hybrid format and use it in combination with live classes (e.g., simply record and post lectures for their students) because I firmly believe this small action can make a major difference for countless students.

Article link: https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-news/pages/study-productivity-shift-remote-work-covid-coronavirus.aspx

5 thoughts on “Impact on Education: What About the Benefits??

1. Brianna, I completely agree with your post! Though virtual learning did have its limitations, it also gave many benefits and shifted the way school is done. I completely attribute success in classes to watching recorded classes and being able to go to virtual office hours (which professors are able to schedule more often than in person office hours). I hope that in the future, schools evolve to keep some of these positive changes so that learning and education can can continue to improve.

2. Brianna: Thank you for your post and I think you are absolutely right about the ways in which the pandemic FORCED everyone to think about accessibility in new ways (and ways folks with disabilities have been screaming about for years). And I am with you on this, I think it was a good thing and I hope it’s impact is more than fleeting.

3. I appreciate this take, as someone who was experiencing remote/hybrid work rather than learning for the first time during the pandemic I definitely see the benefits. However I would be interested in seeing data how these models may have been beneficial in the short term but result in feelings of isolation even to those who saw benefits later down the road. While I found that fully remote work was not sustainable for me, I am hopeful both education and the employers will continue to incorporate greater flexibility.

4. Thank you for this comment Brianna! I agree with you that there are benefits of virtual learning. Without the popularization of the Zoom format, I likely would not have been able to participate in this course. Technology has made knowledge and information more accessible. I think it would be a disservice to not record lectures– especially if students are ill or miss class for valid reasons.

5. I completely agree with this post! I have had a few professors this semester who have refused to upload any missed lectures, even when their syllabus says that they will. It’s strange to me, to see people abandon the technology that has proven to be invaluable over the past two years. It seems that the push to return everything to normalcy has caused people to truly want to go back to normal, even if it means abandoning some of the lessons that we learned during the height of the pandemic. Do you see Zoom continuing to be a popular platform in the future?