Stigma and Isolation: The Power of Touch in the HIV and COVID-19 Pandemics

We’ve spent several weeks in this course discussing the ways in which COVID-19 and HIV are comparable and distinct. While history has repeated itself in a number of ways, I think a notable similarity between these two pandemics is the power that touch (or a lack thereof) has had on either stigmatizing or isolating us.

University of California – San Francisco

When the HIV/AIDS epidemic swept across the United States in the 1980s, a variety of misconceptions about the virus came with it. President Reagan’s refusal to acknowledge the epidemic emboldened the stigmatization of the virus. Not only did blatant homophobia play a role in stigmatizing the virus, but misinformation about how it could be transmitted made many fear touching or kissing someone who had it. We’ve discussed in our classes how hospitals didn’t want patients with HIV/AIDS both out of fear for themselves and because they thought other patients would be too afraid to go to a hospital that treated people with HIV. I think we often think of stigma as what people say to disparage others; but the absence of touch, of human connection, can ostracize people just as much. In the early years, people not only had to experience the pain of finding out they had an incurable, and, at the time, life-ending disease, but they also had to face apathy and disgust at every turn. To be treated as if you were contagious by touch is incredibly isolating, stigmatizing, and dehumanizing. This was such a notable aspect of HIV/AIDS that activism surrounding touch became prevalent: for example, Princess Diana was very outspoken about the epidemic, stating, “HIV does not make people dangerous to know. You can shake their hands and give them a hug. Heaven knows they need it. What’s more, you can share their homes, their workplaces, and their playgrounds and toys.”

USA Today

In 2020, COVID-19 spread throughout the globe, triggering sweeping lockdowns and social distancing mandates. Especially in the early days of COVID, many people were completely isolated within their homes, unable to see or hug their loved ones for months. While touch may not have contributed to stigma the way it did with HIV, it did play a significant role in the isolation and mental health issues many faced during the COVID pandemic. During this time, the US Surgeon General described the US as also experiencing an epidemic of loneliness; combined with the fear of the pandemic, isolation impacted many people’s mental health and ability to cope with uncertainty. I think we all saw how reliant we became on technology during the pandemic, desperately searching for connection, disassociation, or maybe both in social media, television, news, anything. For me, my increased use of technology did nothing to fill the gap of real, human connection. I think something as simple as a hug, a kiss, or a touch reminds us of our humanity, our connection to one another. These pandemics, each in their own way, highlight how important something so seemingly simple is in keeping us going.

Vogue

3 thoughts on “Stigma and Isolation: The Power of Touch in the HIV and COVID-19 Pandemics

1. Hi Shannon,

I really enjoyed reading your post! I appreciate that you chose to discuss the role that avoiding touch has on stigma. I agree that so often stigma is associated with fabricated information which leads to exclusion and out casting people, but what is equally harmful is avoiding—and even being repulsed by—physical touch. A statement in your post reads “ we often think of stigma as what people say to disparage others; but the absence of touch, of human connection, can ostracize people just as much”—I think you nailed it on the head. I would even add that misinformation and stigma that caused people to avoid physically contacting friends, family, and loved ones with HIV may have been even more painful for those affected because they expect acceptance and love from family and friends. It’s interesting that despite the stark differences between HIV/AIDS and COVID-19 (particularly that one is airborne while the other is an STI), people evaded physical contact with those affected with both illnesses. While avoiding physical contact has been a necessity throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, it was not a necessity during the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Interestingly enough, the COVID pandemic forced everyone to experience the same loneliness, isolation, and depressive state that so many affected by HIV/AIDs (during the 1980s-now) also had to endure. It’s likely this ultimately led to increased understanding, acceptance, and empathy. In short, I completely agree with the power that touch has especially given that we are social creatures and we require a connectivity.

2. Hi Shannon!

I really enjoyed your post:) I fully agree that isolation was a huge component in the exacerbation of mental health crisis during the COVID-19 pandemic. I liked how you brought in Princess Diana’s post during the HIV pandemic, and it is interesting to draw parallels regarding mental health in the world during both pandemics. Your post reminded me of how this feelings of disconnectedness and isolation has been stirring in the world for a long time, even before the current pandemic. For example, the UK literally has a Minister of Loneliness–as a population, we feel such a lack of community that countries felt a need for this to resolved institutionally. While that is honestly kind of sad that this is such a problem, I still believe that humans all came together in many ways during both pandemics–whether through raising awareness, reducing stigma, fundraising, etc.

3. Great post Shannon. I think along with a lack of touch, COVID also forced a lack of closeness. With an immunocompromised partner, I still live a very COVID cautious life and just within the last few months have I been more ok with hugging people (indoors I will be masked and outdoors I just hold my breath). I remember the first person I hugged after COVID started, someone who I hadn’t seen for years and it was almost a reflex and half way through the hug I panicked b/c I remembered we were still in COVID and should be social distancing. It was a very weird/hard situation to manage. It has forced me to be very transparent with what I am and am not comfortable with and while that can create some awkward situations, I think it is necessary.