Death and Dying

The underlying question of Case 6.2 Sue Rodriguez: “Please Help Me to Die” seems to be: should physician-assisted suicide be permitted?

Facts to consider include the condition of the disease, laws and policies. In this case Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis aka. Lou Gehrig’s Disease gives the patient 2-14 months to live with the eventual loss of motor functions. Polices and laws to consider determined by the patient’s citizenship is the Canada Charter of Rights and Freedoms; we specifically observe the policies S.1, S.7, S.12, and S.15(I). While these are important, I focus this blog post more on the values in question.

Consider: rights

In class we discussed rights, which makes the claim people should do something for you. The two rights in consideration are negative rights and positive rights. Negative right is the right to live or not be interfered with. Positive right is the right to health care. We could argue health care professional are obligated to “harm” the patient and not interfere with the “life/living” of the patient. However, I suggest we consider in health care, “the right to life has traditionally been taken as a negative right… however, [it] seems to be moving towards a positive right, not just to remain alive, but to be enabled in doing what we want to with our lives, and thus disposing of them if we so choose” (Philos).

Consider: language

Case 6.2 Sue Rodriguez: “Please Help Me to Die” —I question why Beauchamp and Childress decided to title the case “please help me to die” and frame it with a negative connotation right off the bat. I wonder if this negative connotation influences the readers’ (our) opinions of whether assisted suicide is be “right” or “wrong” and should or should not be permitted. Would rephrasing make a difference? Perhaps we should consider some of the following titles:

• “Please help stop my suffering”
  • “Please help me stop the continuation of my disease”
  • “Please help me maintain my autonomy”
  • “Please help me keep my dignity”
  • “Please respect my decision”

Additional Considerations

Idea: Physician-assisted suicide is unnecessary because the suffering of dying patient can always be relieved through proper pain-management and palliative care (*Palliative: relieving pain without dealing with the cause of the condition)

My response: Perhaps physical pain can be alleviated, but does this take into account mental and spiritual pain and/or suffering? How can this type of pain be managed

“Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken.” —C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

Idea: Physician-assisted suicide is unnecessary because individuals can always find the means to kill themselves without a doctor’s assistance.

*Trigger warning for suicide content*

My response: Is it ethical to deny patients physician-assisted suicide and force them to turn to other means of suicide that are potentially more dangerous, harmful, or painful? Some means of suicide include: inhalation of fumes, use of gun, knives, hanging, jumping from fatal heights, ingesting dangerous combinations of drugs, etc. Couldn’t providing physician-assisted suicide as a viable option help filter and catch individuals considering suicide? This gives healthcare professionals to opportunity to consult patients on the matter instead of them “impulsively” or “unreasonably” attempting suicide. The “most dangerous form of suicidal desire is caused by the simultaneous presence of two interpersonal constructs—thwarted belongingness and perceived burdensomeness (and hopelessness about these states,” (Orden) but with the opportunity to speak to patients considering suicide, physicians could make sure patients are thinking in a logical, reasonable manner and understand their options (future) and have all the facts. Wouldn’t this be a more responsible methodology? Through this filtering system, health care professionals could ensure the patients themselves, if they are the one making the decision, meet the qualifications for decision makers listed by Beauchamp and Childress:

1. “Ability to make reason judgments (competence)
  2. Adequate knowledge and information
  3. Emotional stability
  4. A commitment to the incompetent patients’ interests, free of conflicts of interest and free of controlling influence by those who might not act in the patient’s best interests” (Beauchamp, 190). (In the filtration perspective, the patient remains free of controlling influence of others.)

Idea: physician-assisted suicide is a form of killing, which is inconsistent with a physician’s duty never to harm a patient

My response: Isn’t physician-assisted suicide a form of keeping patients from more harm? A way of preventing more pain? I personally agree with Angell, “The greatest harm we can do is to consign a desperate patient to unbearable suffering.” Beauchamp and Childress’s conditions justifying physician-assisted suicide include:

1. A voluntary request by a competent patient
  2. An ongoing patient-physician relationship
  3. Mutual and informed decision making by patient and physician
  4. A supportive yet critical and probing environment of decision making
  5. A considered rejection of alternatives
  6. Structured consultation with other parties in medicine
  7. A patient’s expression of a durable preference for death
  8. Unacceptable suffering by the patient
  9. Use of a means that is as painless ad comfortable as possible (Beauchamp, 184).

This list of conditions, in my opinion, is a more complete or holistic approach and exists as a “continuum of medical care” (Beauchamp, 188). This protects patients, especially patients deemed incompetent, by considering perspectives of “families, courts, guardians, conservators, hospital committees, and health professionals, which all merit consideration.” (Beauchamp, 188). I believe this is a good step towards combatting dehumanization of patients or reduction of patients to their disease or condition. This balances the non-human aspect of the science and medicine while still considering the emotion and reality of the human beings involved.

Citations:

Beauchamp, Tom L., and James F. Childress. Principles of Biomedical Ethics. 7th ed. New York, NY: Oxford UP, 2001. Print.

Lewis, Clive S. The Problem of Pain. New York, NY: HarperCollins, 2014. Print.

Orden, Kimberly A. Van, Tracy K. Witte, Kelly C. Cukrowicz, Scott Braithwaite, Edward A. Selby, and Thomas E. Joiner. “The Interpersonal Theory of Suicide.” Psychological Review. U.S. National Library of Medicine, Apr. 2010. Web. 27 Feb. 2017.

“Right to Life, Right to Die and Assisted Suicide.” Journal of Applied Philosophy. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2004. Web. 27 Feb. 2017.

5 thoughts on “Death and Dying

1. Hi Pamela!

Your post was incredibly well-written, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I agree with you wholeheartedly, especially about the connotation regarding the title. Many individuals have been outspoken about the way assisted death is portrayed. This connotation paints the desperate patients seeking out this reprieve in a negative light. In fact, “many people prefer the term “physician aid-in-dying” simply because the word suicide has negative connotations.” (Jaret)
    Moreover, I agree with your points regarding autonomy and dignity. I believe every patient should have the right to decide their own fate, even their own death. This right is guaranteed through the principle of respect for autonomy. Some individuals believe “autonomy is the right to refuse medical treatment, not the right to a non-medical act performed by a physician.” (Egnor) However, I agree with your point regarding ending the suffering of a patient. It seems to me that allowing a patient to suffer endlessly is a more cruel act than helping them die with dignity.

References

Egnor, Michael. “Physician-Assisted Suicide and Autonomy.” Evolution News & Views. N.p., 20 July 2009. Web. 28 Feb. 2017. 
    Jaret, Peter. “Physician-Assisted Suicide: Is It Ethical?” @berkeleywellness. UC – Berkeley, 26 Apr. 2016. Web. 28 Feb. 2017.

2. Hi Pamela!

Well- written post! I think your idea about taking a holistic approach is important, especially considering the mental stability of the patient. This is a serious issue, both for the patient and the physician. With physician- assisted suicide, a more complete look at the situation and the patient is necessary to go through.

One of my concerns with the growing interest for physician-assisted suicide is the way in which it will be practiced. After the event of which Colorado approved the bill to legalize assisted death and the growing interest on the topic, I assume that the government will issue more policies about this. (Chen) If it became a viable option for patients, I believe a team of physicians or psychiatrists should investigate or determine all aspects of the decision. For example, physicians should consult with family members and try to understand the overall quality of life.

If the government issued a policy in favor of physicians- assisted suicide, physicians should not take the procedure light-heartedly. Although all patients have a decision in their health care, I do not believe that all patients will take the decision as seriously and might regret their choices. One on one conversations, for example, will be more interactive and helpful to the patient rather than a simple consent form or paper to fill out.

Chen, Angela. “Assisted Suicide Is Now Legal in Colorado.” The Verge. The Verge, 08 Nov. 2016. Web. 28 Feb. 2017

3. Hi Pamela,
    I liked the way you set up your blog. Especially the idea and response portion because you address the issues raised on the topic of physician-assisted suicide.
    You brought in the issue of physical and internal pain because it important to explain the two. Often times PAS is acceptable when physical pain is the reason. It is crucial to understand that pain can be internal and that it is possible for internal pain to drive the decision to PAS.
    It is possible to bring in the concept of killing vs. letting die? Because with PAS the physician can be the person to kill the patient. In this case, they are performing the act. There are other cases where the physician just provides the means for the patient to do it themselves. In this case, the physician is letting the patient die

4. Hey Pamela,

Great job on the blog post! It is very well written and I had a great time reading it and understanding your arguments. You introduced the notion of spiritual/psychological or mental pain in the response to the argument that strong analgesics can take care of the physical pain in terminal patients and therefore physician assisted suicide should not be legal. I think that you make a good argument, but I have an issue with it regarding its unintended consequences. The argument leads to a slippery slope where depressed people could potentially use it to commit suicide. It would be unethical to assist someone in suicide if the only reason they want to do it is because they are depressed. How do you make a distinction between someone who is suicidal because they are depressed and someone in actual need of physician assisted suicide because of legitimate mental/psychological pain? Let me know what you think of this point!

Thanks,
    Mihir

5. Hi Pamela,

Great post! I really want to focus on one of the more minor points in your post – the framing effect. I think that this case is an excellent example of a situation where the framing effect can come into play and we really did not even think twice about it. In this instance, it was as simple as choosing a name for a hypothetical case study. In real life, the framing effect can come about in many ways that obviously have much more weight than a hypothetical case study. Especially when discussing issues of broad societal importance, the framing effect can be one’s best friend or worst enemy. However, there really is no way around the framing effect, as no matter how you say or write something, there will always be some connotation, no matter how subtle. The framing effect is simply a side effect of language, and it cannot be avoided. So, we must come up with a way to circumvent it. Maybe we present both sides of an argument, or repeat our ideas in different ways that carry different connotations. Either way, this is a significant issue that we need to solve to advance the field of medical ethics.