Opinion on obligations re: immunizations

I disagree with the conclusion “routine childhood immunization should not be compulsory if adequate levels of immunization can be achieved by other means,” by Isaacs, Kilham, and Marshall [will be referred to as “Authors”] in “Should routine childhood immunizations be compulsory?”

If I’m being honest, I feel troubled by my own opinion because it contrasts with that of published scholars affiliated with the Departments of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, the Children’s Hospital at Westmead, the Paediatric Trials Unit and the Department of Paediatrics, the Women’s and Children’s Hospital. Nonetheless, in this blog post, I will outline the reasons for my disagreement.

The Authors base their conclusion on “ethical and practical reasons” (Issacs). Ethical concerns they mention include: autonomy, parental rights, coercion, trust, and weight of risks-benefits. And, the only practical reason they mention is difficulty enforcing.

“Practical” Reason: Enforcement

Because the Authors only present one practical reason, I choose to address this point first. The authors frame the physical restrainment of a child for immunization as an aggressive act comparable to assault. This comparison, in my opinion, is exaggerated and dramatic as no threat is posed and there is no intent of physical harm or injury. This opinion is made considering assault as “an act that threatens physical harm to a person, whether or not actual harm is done” (Oxford Dictionary). The Authors say restrainment for immunization is only “justifiable in a situation of extreme risk,” but they fail to provide criteria of what is considered ‘extreme’ and ‘risky’ (Issasc). Infectious diseases can definitely be considered a potential risk, and in the way I see it, immunization is actually preventing extreme risk.

Ethical Reasons

Parental Rights and Autonomy. The arguments for parental rights and autonomy are weak. Immunizing one’s child does not make or break a parental style of child rearing. Receiving an immunization(s) does not directly shape a child’s habits, values, morals, or beliefs. The Authors, themselves, even mention the ethical consideration that “ people who are afraid of harming their child by immunization …[generally tend] to be more worried about causing damage to one’s child by doing something to them rather than by not doing it” (Issacs).

The Authors counter their very own argument the “protection of the community only applies for transmittable disease” with the concepts of herd community and free riders. They say “an important implication of herd community is that failure to immunize a child against a transmissible infection may not only render that child susceptible to infection, but may imperil other children” (Issacs). Perhaps it is okay (not terribly harmful and dangerous for the community) if a small handful of people are not immunized. Even then, we cannot all be the exception to the rule; we cannot all be free riders because as “the number of free riders increases, the population becomes more susceptible, and disease will start to circulate” (Issacs).

Risk-Benefits and Trust. The Authors do not specify which routine childhood immunizations should not be compulsory. So, assuming their argument encompasses all routine childhood immunizations, their argument for risk-benefit is ineffective. Although the “risk benefit equation varies from disease to disease,” the overall benefits of immunizations outweigh the risks for the diseases. Vaccines are scientifically proven to be effective. It is the very reason why immunizations are worthwhile. In fact, “most childhood vaccines produce immunity about 90 – 100% of the time” (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services).

The Authors claim “making immunizations compulsory renders trust redundant,” which implicitly claims there is a problem with redundancy (Isaacs). To that end, I ask, is there a problem with redundancy? Is it hurtful or inappropriate for health care professional to repetitively give reassurance? I do not think so. Also, does the enforcement of immunization invalidate physician-patient trust? Nope.            The Authors associate enforcement with coercion, which is paradoxical to their saying if “high levels [of immunization] can be maintained through encouragement and incentives, this effectively achieves the aims of the moderate communitarian, without the need for legislation” because incentivizing can be considered a form of coercion as well. In fact, when talking about inducement, the Authors pose the question: “Could this be seen as a form of coercion, particularly to poorer families who are far more dependent on such welfare payments”(Issacs)? I think, yes. Enforcement of immunizations, I think, would be an act of paternalism by the government.

Alternatives to compulsion

Education. While I disagree with the Authors overall conclusion, I do agree with their idea we should increase education re: benefit of immunizations. However, dispersion of information and health care education can be a difficult and challenging process. For example, there may be “unreliable funding and resources,” and we need to consider “long duration [is] needed to create lasting change” (World Health Organization). Perhaps eventually we will reach a point where everyone is educated, but in the meantime, I believe it better to implement compulsory immunization.

Outbreak Legislation. While it is possible to “enact emergency legislation to compel immunization,” in the event of an outbreak, pandemic, or bioterrorist attack, it would be a race against the clock or a matter of luck for those who are not immunized. Would it not be better to have received the immunization ahead of time? We should not view this only as a matter of planning for what might or could happen, but also for the sake of matters such as communitarianism, consequentialism and community rights. It’s true; “a circumstance of risk involves a possible occurrence of something that has been valuated as harmful along with an uncertainty about its actual occurrence” (Beauchamp, 230). But we ought to wonder: is it worth the risk?

No-fault and compensation schemes. While I do acknowledge vaccines sometimes harm people, I still believe the benefits of immunization outweigh the slim risks. I do not find it necessary for me expand on the effectiveness of vaccines which counters the few cases. That being said, monetary compensation is viable as the amount spent on treating vaccine preventable diseases is incredible. I defer to the following to prove my point: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/pubs/methods/

Closing-thoughts

The Authors have made several strong and valid points in favor of compulsory immunization. They have even made arguments for compulsory immunization, which counter the very arguments they make against compulsory immunization. Now that I have expressed my opinion and provided the facts and personal sentiments to why I disagree with the Authors, I’d love to hear what you guys think. Do you agree with the arguments against compulsory immunizations the Authors make?

Citations

Beauchamp, Tom L., and James F. Childress. Principles of Biomedical Ethics. 7th ed. New York, NY: Oxford UP, 2001. Print.

Isaacs, D., HA Kilham, and H. Marshall. “Should Routine Childhood Immunizations Be Compulsory?” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. Blackwell Science Pty, 22 June 2004. Web. 26 Mar. 2017.

“Types of Healthy Settings.” WHO. World Health Organization, n.d. Web. 26 Mar. 2017.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. “Vaccines.gov.” Vaccines Are Effective. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 11 Oct. 2006. Web. 26 Mar. 2017.

“VFC Publications: Supplement.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 23 Apr. 2014. Web. 26 Mar. 2017.

3 thoughts on “Opinion on obligations re: immunizations

1. Hi Pamela!

You present a very interesting argument and I really enjoyed the way you presented it. In terms of your refute against the “practical” concerns, I couldn’t agree more that comparing mandatory vaccinations to an act of assault is an absurd exaggeration. I think economic costs as well as availability of resources (vaccines) are more reasonable and founded practical considerations to actually worry about rather than presenting enforcement as a potential physical harm. There are many diseases and vaccines in the medical field, so I think a better practical consideration should be which diseases and vaccines should be compulsory and which should be optional. Economically, it would be impossible to finance and have enough resources to provide every person with every vaccine for potentially contagious diseases. So how does one decide which vaccines should be mandatory and which are not? As referenced in the article, there are laws in place making certain vaccines mandatory to enter into the school system in the United States, so how do you decide what other vaccines should be added to the mandatory list for school entrance (Isaacs, Kilham, Marshall 392)?

As for their ethical considerations, I think it is important to keep parent rights and autonomy in mind; however as you addressed later in your post there appears to be a disconnect with a large portion of the population about how exactly vaccines work and what they do (and do not) cause. The main thing that comes to mind in the argument about whether or not vaccines should be compulsory is the case of Autism and vaccines. An increase in number of vaccines children were receiving as well as an increase in reported cases of Autism about a decade ago led many people to believe that there was an association between Autism and vaccines: vaccines cause Autism. Since this hypothesis was initially introduced, many research studies have been conducted and successfully disproved this suspected causality; however there are still many people who still believe that vaccinations cause Autism (“Autism and Vaccines”). Whether or not vaccines become compulsory, I definitely think that for the sake of public health an increase in awareness about the benefits and common misconceptions are necessary. For the countless reasons you addressed in your post as well as the authors in the article referenced, immunizations save lives and failure to get an immunization can cause harmful effects not just on the individual who doesn’t get it, but also on others around them. It should be of the utmost important to educate the public in order to dispel parent fears that are scientifically disproven and illustrate why vaccinations are vital to public health and safety.

Ultimately, I cannot decide what my stance is, but I do think that an increase in public education on the statistics and basic facts about vaccinations is absolutely necessary, regardless of whether or not vaccinations become compulsory.

References:

“Autism and Vaccines.” Autism Science Foundation. Autism Science Foundation, 2017. Web. 29 Mar. 2017.

Isaacs, D., HA Kilham, and H. Marshall. “Should Routine Childhood Immunizations Be Compulsory?” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. Blackwell Science Pty, 22 June 2004. Web. 26 Mar. 2017.

2. Hi Pamela!

I really enjoyed reading your post. The issue of whether or not vaccinations should be compulsory is a very complex issue as you discussed, and I am still not sure where I stand. On one hand, I feel it is unfair for parents to not vaccinate their kids and then put them in environments with others, where they will be interacting with other people, which can cause an increased risk in outbreaks. However, at the same time, one’s autonomy should also be respected and I feel it is somewhat unethical to force parents to vaccinate their kids. I also agree that the “practical” concerns are severely exaggerated and I have a hard time understanding mandatory vaccinations as an assault. I understand it might be unwanted by some, but I still find it difficult to qualify it as assault.

After reading your post, I found another article, “Should Vaccines Be Compulsory?”, which talked about how in the UK, children do not need proof of vaccination to enter the public school system as is required of children in the United States. The article quoted officials saying, “Our strategy is to maintain a voluntary immunization system and invest efforts in educating parents about the benefits of vaccination and dispelling ‘myths’ about vaccine safety”. The article went on to discuss that there is minimal evidence to support the assumption that educating the public will lead to changes in their behavior. Also, evidence supports an increase in belief in these myths surrounding campaigns specifically designed to dispel these legends. When telling people that vaccines do not cause autism, the words that they will then associate together are “vaccines” and “autism”. Officials believe that this is why vaccine rates have declined in the UK. Despite reading this article, I still think that education on this matter is extremely important and believe that parents should vaccinate their kids. I am just uncertain as to whether or not it should be compulsory.

Works Cited:

Isaacs, D., HA Kilham, and H. Marshall. “Should Routine Childhood Immunizations Be Compulsory?” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. Blackwell Science Pty, 22 June 2004. Web.

Novella, Steven. “Should Vaccines Be Compulsory?” Science-Based Medicine. N.p., 20 Aug. 2009. Web. 30 Mar. 2017.

3. I enjoyed how thorough your analysis of this topic was. I especially enjoy the point about how many vaccines should be compulsory. I could see an argument claiming that vaccines for the flu or other common viruses being required as well in order to limit sickness or missed school later on. However, this is time consuming, difficult for students or their parents to access, and possibly costly as well.

I tend to agree that vaccines should be compulsory, but not just because of ethical reasons but scientific ones. I think it’s hard to be convinced by purely ethics, especially the more you know about the strengths and flaws of different types of logical and ethical arguments. I also appreciated your agreement that people should be educated about why vaccines are beneficial and safe. In order to mandate the vaccines that are compulsory, you have to be very specific and ensure proper and affordable access for everyone that needs them.