“Under The Influence” – Navneeth Perumal

I was interested in multiple exhibits, but after todays discussion in class I chose to focus on the installation “Under the Influence” by Williams Burroughs.  The installation contains many unique findings. Inside there is a quote by Burroughs. It states,“Language is a virus from outer space.” I thought this quote was particularly pertinent to our class discussion today on the subject of the impact of language.  We discussed the ever changing nature of the language and how it can impact us when we see it used in an unexpected manner. I believe this was in part what Burroughs was trying to do in the exhibit.  An envelope in the constellation has a random pieces of paper with text on them. These texts have no cohesive meaning, they seem nonsensical. This was very similar to the methods discussed in class.. The contrast in form from what we usually see makes us pause and question its purpose. The use of language engenders a feeling of confusion, which could be the author’s goal. The idea that the form in which words are presented matters just as much as the content is an idea I will try to put into my presentation. I will try to structure visuals in a way that they can create a feeling just as much  as any words can. A further question this raises is in regards to the title’s origins. Under the influence implies that the author is acting as a result of another’s agency. I wonder who or what this force could be.  Additionally, it calls into question how close the author believes what he has created and how much of it was not of his own will. In terms of additional research, I would further need to dig into the origins of the work. Additionally, I would have to research the authors past to see what influence it might of had.