Prompt 3- Grace Li

I chose the piece of music Ballade No.2 in B minor by Liszt. The genre of music is a romantic piece. One can recognize that this piece is romantic. because it is very lyrical, expressive, and also has chromatic phrasing. Chromatic phrasing is what happens when to notes run up and down.

The Ballade is believed to be based on the greek myth Hero and Leander. Hero is a priestess who lived in a tower and Leander who was a man that lived opposite of a strait. They fell in love, and Leander would swim every night to Hero’s tower which was guided by a lampt that would be lit. However, one night, Hero’s lamp was blown out by the wind, so Leander drowned. Hero proceeded to drown when she heard about her lover’s death.

One can hear the way Leander drowns due to the constant repeats of the melody and the chromatic harmony. As the piece goes on, the chromatic runs become more violent, and you can sense a struggle. Nevertheless, there is still a sparkling chordal melody throughout the piece that reminds the listener that there is something exciting and positive happening despite the tragic story. Liszt even ends the piece with a solemn closing. I interpret it as if Leander and Hero made it out of the storm whether in an afterworld or in real-life.

I think some people may interpret this piece by using their own creative energy so that it applies to their life. For example, before I knew the background from this piece, I thought this piece could represent my four years of college. It has been crazy, and I have been able to do so many great things with my time as indicated by the exuberant passages in the middle. However, at the end I feel contemplative, reflective, and ultimately, grateful for my experiences at Emory.