Reading Journal 7 – Chris Cardenas

This Saturday, Oct 29th, I participated in the Annual Drag Show hosted by Emory Pride which was such a fun and exhilarating event to be a part of. I haven’t received the official photos just yet so these ones that my friends took will have to do. I signed up to perform weeks ago and this past couple weeks have been my busiest and most emotionally demanding so it felt like the termination of all the stress I had accumulated. I have always wanted to get into drag and, much more, perform for a crowd so being able to do so was very cathartic. I lipsynced to Summer Renaissance by BeyoncĂ©, which is one of my favorites off her latest album. Recently, I haven’t taken much time for myself, in the way that I would want to, so it felt nice to do so in such a unique way! I think prior to this, I have always viewed taking time off for myself through such a limited lens that it felt as if the things I used to rely on for “rest” were actually starting to get tiresome themselves (e.g. watching a show/movie, staying in my room and doing nothing). However, after performing, I felt such a renewed sense of self that I started to get motivated in other aspects of my life. I realized rest comes in so many different ways, and that by expanding my definition of rest I can achieve an even more effective lifestyle.