Reading Journal – 9

I have chosen the word “queerness” for my final project wherein I aim to highlight the need to take a transnational approach to queerness that is inclusive to how queerness is defined across all cultures instead of the globalized definition of queerness that universalizes queer identities and experiences which leads to an erasure of unique, more local identities. I’m going to present on this topic through a blog post because I think this format would allow my content to be accessible to a bigger audience due to the informal language I will be using throughout which would allow for an easier comprehension of the content compared to an academic paper that is more formal and may be a little harder to read. My audience is likely going to be other people in the queer community, who are interested in the different ways queerness can be defined outside of how they have been exposed to. Since the American and Eurocentric notion of queerness is what most people have access to, especially due to popular media, they might be interested in the other, equally important and valid ways it can be described as well.

For my project, I will be taking India and Indonesia as examples to show how unique the vocabulary is in different cultures and how language can play a key role in shaping queer identities and expressions. The three generic conventions of a blog post are 1) educational presentation on a sub topic, 2) contains other media types such as images and charts for reader engagement, and 3) informal and easily accessible.

Citation:

Leist, Rachel. “How to Write a Blog Post: A Step-by-Step Guide [+ Free Blog Post Templates].” HubSpot Blog, HubSpot, 16 Sept. 2022, https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/how-to-start-a-blog#:~:text=A%20blog%20post%20is%20any,%2C%20infographics%2C%20and%20interactive%20charts.