Reading Prompt 3 Joe Byun

PROMPT 1: THINKING THROUGH THE CHARACTER EFFECT IN LITERATURE

Identification Perspective

I can say to a certain extent that I relate to Mei in Small Beauty in certain mannerisms that I hold and the way I can understand and relate to her actions in different contexts. I will never be able to relate to her as a trans woman and her upbringing in her life, however, her mannerisms towards other people and the way that she handles these situations are like what I experience. For instance, how I grew up, there are a few selected amounts of people that I can trust and grow up with, and especially from the instance of Sandy being akin to a sibling-like figure, I would have an older brother as well who would stay by my side and be a caring person. However, it would not be the extent that Sandy goes lengths to in terms of violence, but still at times would guide me and be a good role model. In addition to Mei’s personality, I would be reserved and relatively wouldn’t confront my problems on my own though differently from the extent that Mei was interacting with her situation. In general, there are moments where I don’t realize my surroundings as well as people and ponder about my doubts in my life as illustrated when she talks about her thoughts about the situation where people in the songs who risk everything goes nowhere after realizing that Rick and Bina have that situation. The times I have been in my head have been relayed and have also experienced some loss. Though Mei is on a different path in life than where I am, in this case, her journey comes to reflecting on the people close to her and realize.