Reading Prompt 6 – Dylan Gandy

"You crazy roach!" -Eva

I define a metaphor as a sentence that directly compares two objects or concepts. A metaphor allows the author to attribute certain attributes to an object or character as it relates to the characteristics of another thing. In this way, the author does not necessarily need to “tell” the reader what something is like but instead allows the reader to draw their own conclusions from their understanding of the concept. Far more interestingly, there exists a certain ambivalence in metaphors. Without directly stating attributes, the author leaves the object or character up to the reader’s interpretation, which may even lead to conflicting connotations of a certain concept.

In grade school, they taught us that a simile uses “like” and “as” to compare, while a metaphor uses “is” (or “to be” verbs for more generality). In my definition, I purposefully do not rely on the grade school definition to open myself up to more possibilities. Language is ever-evolving, and I find it far too constricting for a metaphor to only exist with the presence of one verb.

For my metaphor from Sula, I selected “you crazy roach” (Sula, 93). Eva speaks this line to Sula in a heated argument about the people burning shortly after Sula returns to the Bottom. Like my definition, Morrison draws a parallel between Sula and this “roach,” although there isn’t the presence of any “to be” verbs.

When I think of roach, I think of a very disgusting insect that makes my skin crawl. More than Eva invoking this strong imagery to portray her disgust for Sula, I believe Morrison includes the metaphor to allude to the disdain the town will feel toward her.

One other thing about roaches, they always seem to appear in the most unlikely places, and I get a jump-scare anytime I find one. When I do find one, it is impossible to predict what it will do next. Did you know some roaches can fly? Yes, indeed some can, and it is the most heart-stopping revelation one can come to experience if they’re on the wrong end of a roach flying. Similar to the roach, Sula has this unpredictability. She appears in the most unlikely places in the Bottom, and no one can ever seem to predict what she’ll do next. I sure didn’t foresee her sleeping with Jude.

As much as I dislike to give any credit to roach insects, I have always heard roaches could survive a nuclear blast. Of course, this is only a myth. The sheer shockwave, extreme heat, or inordinate amount of radiation in the air will kill a roach if a nuclear blast occurs. Nonetheless, roaches know how to survive. Like the roach, Sula is a survivor (up until the very end that is). Despite being the town pariah, she finds a way to continue living her own way. Morrison utilizes these attributes associated with the roach to start building the character of Sula in addition to sowing a little disdain, so we sympathize with the townspeople.

For my picture, I am not actually going to include a real photo of a roach. Even a picture of a roach can give me some adverse reactions. Instead, please observe some clipart of a roach with far less realistic detail.