2 thoughts on “Oxford Farm Field Trip

1. The Oxford farm field trip was one of my favourite classes this semester. Going into the trip I was not sure what to expect. I knew very little about the farm and what goes on there. It was a fascinating experience and Mr. Parson was extremely informative. My favourite part of the trip was discussing the beehives they have and how they grow mushrooms. I especially enjoyed Mr. Parson telling the story of he catches the bees from hives around campus. It was amazing how this trip connected what we have been learning in class about organic foods to a real world grower. Prior to this trip I always thought that we rotated crops as a way to keep the soil fertile with all the necessary ingredients for growing. It was fascinating to learn that the real reason it is done is to avoid diseases in these plants. It was very cool when he explained how if you were to grow the same crop in one plot of land, some sort of disease would effect every cycle more and more of the population. This trip definitely made me appreciate the work that organic farmers do.

2. Sadly, I didn’t get the opportunity to go on the Oxford farm trip and I’m very jealous of the people who got to go and experience the work organic farmers do. I would have liked to have seen where some of the Oxford campus produce comes from. I’m thankful that when I was younger my family had a huge garden in the backyard and I was able to get gardening experience from that. We always grew broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, and squash and we even grew asparagus one year. The asparagus was very hard to grow because it requires a very specific soil pH and it takes a year before it actually starts to produce. My mom always wanted to get beehives to start producing our own honey but we didn’t have enough space. Being able to produce my own honey would be very cool because it would help with seasonal allergies as it made from the very pollen that I’m allergic to.