Sweeny Todd

Anthony Keith

Movie Response: Sweeney Todd

Sweeney Todd was terrifyingly amazing. I have never been a fan of musicals, but Sweeny Todd encompassed an intensity and emotionality with every song that was undeniably compelling. I was engaged from the onset of the movie and never lost interest. Sweeny Todd has a dark overtone, and is a film that has the capacity to insight a cruelty in even the most innocent viewers.

My only negative critique of Sweeny Todd is that Todd’s transition into his most demonic self was not very clear. I was unaware of what compelled him to start killing his clients. The violence grew to be a bit excessive and lost its artistic value for a moment, seeming like an amateur slasher film. Yet, that did not significantly detract from the viewing experience. I validate its excessiveness in that fact that Todd killed his own wife, having been uncontrollably violent. I suppose it was appropriate because it conveys the Todd’s decaying state of sanity and purpose. Whereas his intentions were to avenge his wife and exile, he began to derive a greater satisfaction from the killing. I believe this is what makes his moment of recognizing his wife most compelling; it reminded him of who he was before he lost himself.

I applaud Sweeney Todd for capturing the tension between characters in a romantically scary way. Most impressively, the coordination of songs between Todd and Mrs. Lovett almost made me an advocate for their romance. The cast/characters in Sweeny Todd offer a range of intriguing perspectives. Each character is very full and had the potential to have a movie detailing a story of their own, especially Pirelli. Pirelli’s boy servant, Tobias, was my favorite character of the film. His character straddles the fence of good and bad, providing a necessary balance of character dynamics. His bravery is admirable and loyalty devout. I believe this is why the movie even ends with Tobias killing Todd. Symbolically, Tobias is a boyish version of Todd. He has an unapologetic warrior spirit, but also harness an affectionate spirit, evidenced by his expressions of care for Mrs. Lovett, which seem partially like a love interest, but also as a son. The plot is based in Todd killing who he believes has committed evil, just as Tobias believes Todd has committed evil. Tobis killing Todd brings the story full circle and ultimately symbolizes good overcoming evil.

My final curiosities lie in the whereabout of Todd’s daughter. Does she ever make it away? Does Jamie come back for her? Does she ever learn about her father?  The movie leaving those questions unanswered is unfulfilling and makes the movie feel incomplete! Overall, Sweeney Todd was remarkable.

27. June 2016 by Anthony Keith Johnson
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment