Social Class and Class Mobility

In the beginning of the semester, I wrote that “class is the different levels that make up society. Class is defined by your net worth and occupation and is also influenced by your surroundings and your parents’ jobs. At the most basic level, class consists of lower, middle, and upper class, with each division composed of smaller subdivisions. In addition, for the most part, class is pretty discrete, meaning there isn’t too much fluidity between the three major divisions. However, it is possible for people to move up and down the class ladder.”

In hindsight, I would make slight modifications to my definition of class and class mobility. In terms of class, recent events have demonstrated the impact of race, gender, and religion. The shootings in Atlanta and Boulder show how race and religion impact class, respectively. Not only does your familial background and surroundings impact your societal standing, but race also plays a major role. Certain races are stereotyped into certain professions and mannerisms. Asians, for example, are known as doctors and lawyers: the model minority some would claim. Asian women, specifically, are also fetishized by mainstream culture, which can restrict their career mobility and correspondingly their social status. In addition, the limited information on the Boulder shootings also indicates religion’s role on class. Certain religious phobias like Islamophobia and anti-Semitism can impact one’s livelihood and career. The discrimination ethnic and religious minorities face heavily impact one’s class through career and social hindrances.

My perception of class mobility has also changed. Due to the research I found on the stock market, I began to understand how rigid class structure is. Like in the stock market, many platforms are systemically restricted to help the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. On a more positive note, the advent of Robinhood for the stock market and other technologies have helped even the playing field somewhat. In my opinion, technology has improved people’s abilities to move up and down classes.

My experiences and class research have showcased the systemic measures in place that restrict class mobility. They have also demonstrated the danger of racial, gender, and religious stereotypes, no matter how “harmless” they may seem.