Week 9: Practice Blog Post

What is Class?

My initial definition of class at the beginning of the semester was quite ambiguous: “a classification system of socioeconomic status”. I had only a vague idea of what class actually means and the depth that goes into it.

Now, as I have gotten to take the time to learn and think more about what class is, I feel more confident in my understanding of it. Class is actually quite an abstract idea and its parameters are largely based on perspective and relativity. In other words, what one may perceive as their own class can be perceived differently by someone else. For example, I may think I am the middle class, but someone who is in the top 1% tax bracket may view me as someone who is part of the lower class. My initial definition of class was not too far off; class is essentially a straitified, hierarchical system based on socioeconomic status.

A New Perspective

Two aspects of class I am particularly interested in learning about and discussing are race and gender. I am a multiracial woman in America, so I enjoy learning about what class exactly means for me in terms of how I should perceive myself. From this class as well as other sources such as documentaries and articles, I have come to learn that the lower class is disproportionately represented by minorities. I have learned about the impacts of class on one’s ability to get jobs, seek higher education, receive adequate housing, etc. The knowledge I’ve gained about class have made me realize just how lucky I am to be a woman of color at one of the top universities in the United States. I am fortunate enough to be at a place that will likely place me in a higher class compared to many other women of color. Furthermore, I have a new perspective on my life as I now see how my class status has impacted the way I grew up. From the homes I’ve lived in to the friends I’ve made, I can truly say that class has almost completely shaped my life.