Petcha Kucha Artifact – Molnar

The artifact I want to study for my Pecha Kucha presentation is a comic strip from the graphic novel Watchmen written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons. I chose to study this because speaks to many of our class themes in an interesting and exciting way. It uses the action and awesomeness of comic hero’s to reflect on privacy, freedom and government control. I want to study it in more detail because it was one of my favorite books when I first read it and it would be interesting to go back and analyze all the hidden messages I missed. The author’s main purpose is to entertain but I believe the author wants to educate and persuade the reader on certain issues. The intended audience is mostly an average American since it focuses on a dystopian America and has some mature themes. The assumptions are made that they can look beyond the text and pull out a deeper meaning. It was published in 1987 and it focuses on the cold war period and the huge tension between the USA and the USSR. The tone is harsh and violent. The genre is a graphic novel. The text and illustrations can both be analyzed so there us a lot to take away from each page. The book does a good job of appeal to all rhetorical arguments but it uses pathos the most effectively. I am excited to reevaluate one of my favorite books.