Daniela Lopez Blog Post 7

I would like to write about the sublimation of women in Marry Shelly’s Frankenstein. I find it particularly interesting how the portrayal of women passive parallels the role of women in the 19th century (the time when the novel was written). I would like to further explore Shelly’s possible criticism of this weak role played by women and the dysfunctions of the domestic hierarchy in regards to family structure.

I found a peer reviewed journal by James Davis titled Frankenstein and the Subversion of the Masculine Voice. This article investigates the sublimation of women in the novel. It expands on the concept of misogyny, “their virtual exclusion of female characters and perspectives purposefully enacts in the novel’s form the misogyny that dooms the male characters to failure.” This idea that the exclusion of women is what led men to failure in the novel can be used in my paper to portray Marry Shelly’s criticism of the role of women in the 19th century. She can be using this failure of men in the book to encourage the use of the feminine voice in the actual world.

The author of this article references a critics claim in the first paragraph of his journal entry. He uses the critics claim to further support his thesis stating in his works cited that “Several studies have been particularly useful in establishing feminist critical.”

http://www.tandfonline.com.proxy.library.emory.edu/doi/pdf/10.1080/00497878.1992.9978946