Junhao Cao “Steven” Blog #7

https://web-a-ebscohost-com.proxy.library.emory.edu/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?sid=57b0955c-8d79-41a7-8780-083cd43dbb56%40sessionmgr4002&vid=13&hid=4214

The article I chose was Technology and Impotence in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein written by Thomas Vargish. I picked this article because it was relevant to my topic about how humanity overcomes the abused technology. In this article, Vargish refers to plenty of science fiction works from different fields in order to demonstrate audiences how people nowadays excessively emphasize the importance of keep the development of technology under control. Vargish points out that a majority of science fiction works nowadays tends to create a monstrous creature for horrifying elements. However, this approach also fosters the fear from audiences towards technology. In Vargish’s article, he suggests that people should not view technology as a value that is equivalent to love, passion and intelligence. Instead, people should apply technology as an aid to extend those values and further develop humanity. The author proposes to analyze the text with a well-known neurologist, Sigmund Freud’s idea of the “self as composed of ego, superego, and id”. By using the theory Freud discovered, the author is able to identify the relationship between Frankenstein, Elizabeth and the monster as “ego, superego, and id” respectively. Freud’s idea fused with Vargish’s argument perfectly and thus strengthen his thesis of using technology, in this case, the monster as a tool to express one’s own feelings and extend those feelings to an extreme level. Vargish does not clearly state whether he agrees with Freud’s idea or not, but he introduces Freud’s idea in order to support his major arguments.

This article drags my attention because it is significantly unique and innovative. The approach that the author manages to take is totally different from any other critic’s. He does not focus on how human beings should be careful with technology. On the other hand, he analyzes the issues aroused by technology through a different path. Not only his methodic structure, but also his idea inspires me thoroughly. I feel my idea is also not a traditional one, and Vargish’s article enables me to expand my idea without worrying about any traditional expectation. Furthermore, Vargish’s main argument states that people should not blame the overdeveloped technology for destructions and thus fearing science. This argument supports my idea of humanity overcomes excessive technology since we both suggest that people can eventually manipulate and control technology through humanity.