Sydney Shulman; Blog Post #7

I have chosen to write about Gary Shteyngart’s Super Sad True Love Story in my final paper. Since Super Sad True Love Story was published relatively recently, in 2010, there isn’t an excess of literary commentary about it. However, some common topics that have been discussed about Shteyngart’s novel throughout scholarly journals include age, credit scores, identity, and dystopian societies. One article that I have found to be particularly interesting is titled “Ending Aging in the Shteyngart of Eden: Biogerontological discourse in a Super Sad True Love Story” written by Ulla Kriebernegg, and can be found at the following link: http://www.sciencedirect.com.proxy.library.emory.edu/science/article/pii/S0890406512000758. Kriebernegg discusses biogerontology, the subfield of gerontology that discusses why and how we age and how to slow the process, how the novel presents old age as a curable disease, and how the novel depicts age as both a uniting and dividing factor between Lenny and Eunice. In the introduction, Kriebernegg uses an argument from a New York Times article written by M. Kakutani, “every toxic development already at large in America to farcical extremes” to extend her own arguments about the dystopia in which Super Sad True Love Story takes place. This article presents an interesting argument that may help me develop an angle for my paper as well. Aging is not the primary concern of the novel’s plot, but age is always taken into consideration, and is very important at the end of the day. I would be interested in looking for another underlying aspect of the plot that isn’t obvious in every journal entry or email but is vital to the storyline nonetheless, and influential to the characters’ actions and motives.