John Kim post 8

Primary

Man’s all compelling need for survival is evident in the development of the main characters, the boy and the man, in The Road. Some critics argue that McCarthy suggests the possibility for redemption of mankind. This is indeed how Ashley Kunsa views the portrayal of these characters as she believes, “we discover the seeds of the works unexpectedly optimistic worldview.” However, this is a contention with which I vehemently disagree. The Father and the boy, who are described metaphorically as those who are “carrying the fire” and “the good guys” appear to be moral characters who do not succumb to barbaric acts such as cannibalism. Yet, the impressive moral standard of the father and the boy simply provide a false illusion to the reader that there are those who can triumph in McCarthy’s truest test for optimism.

– Here i quoted Kunsa as a foundation for the development of my own argument. I implemented the “They say, I say” structure that was so strongly emphasized in class and in doing so made my argument stronger and more valid. By quoting someone with a different idea, and then immediately rejecting it, I have effectively proven that I have considered opposing view points but still remain steadfast to my original beliefs.

Secondary

This is effective because the poster is an altered version of the iconic propaganda used in George Orwell’s celebrated novel ‘1984’. Its is at once recognisable to the audience. The use of the image of google, which we are all familiar with and is central to many of our lives, makes concept of a totalitarian society wherein everyone is watched becomes very immediate and imminent.

– the secondary source i used in this paragraph is George Orwell’s 1984. Not only is this directly related to the poster that I was analyzing, but the novel itself is also an icon of totalitarianism and therefore makes the posters relatable to the general audience.