Steven Cao Blog #9

In my research paper, I would like to demonstrate how Mary Shelly teaches people to master technology through humanity via the novel Frankenstein. My main theme is humanity, and my thesis statement is also built around that theme. I would like to give a brief introduction about how people generally view this book as an “anti-technology” novel. After that, I will bring in the scholars’ ideas and indicate the difference. I will then implement my thesis statement in order to show my perspective.

After the introduction, I will first talk about how the monster is driven by Victor’s personalities and characteristics in order to show how humanity can lead artificial intelligence. I will choose a passage from the novel which I haven’t decided which and analyze it. Furthermore, I will quote from Vargish’s article to introduce the idea of seeing the monster as the extension of Victor’s core values. By fusing Vargish’s article and the novel, I will conclude that technologies are only aids to extend humanities instead of eliminating. However, I will mention that the public usually see technologies as potential dangers which contradicts most of the scholars’ ideas.

I will explain why public and scholars think differently by quoting from Nerlich’s article about how fictional works foster the fear among public. In order to support this idea, I will quote the passage about the appearance of the monster from the novel. I will mention how people judge the monster by its appearance instead of its characteristics to create a parallelism between people in the novel and in our society. In order to further emphasize how fictional works cause people panic about technology, I will quote from Orlin’s essay and criticize some points he made by referring to Nerlich’s article.

Last but not least, I will quote from Julian’s article and point out that the lack of humanity is the major issue that causes artificial creatures to become rampage. I will also use Victor’s story and show how his lack of responsibility and humanity causes the monster’s rage and thus leading to destruction.