Blog Post 10 – Vlad Molnar

In my introduction I usually start with a broad topic and slowly focus in onto my research question. My introduction serves as a source of background information and also on why my research question is important. Once I have focused in, I present my thesis and how I am going to argue it and then close the intro. In my conclusion I start by repeating my main argument and the main supporting details. I conclude on what my opinion is and why I believe it to be this way. Then I begin to broaden the topic and show how this is important to our world. Then conclude with a strong finishing sentence.

The introduction of the novel, The African Diaspora by Patrick Manning does a great job of outlining the goals of the author in writing this book and what the novel will specifically cover. He first starts by describing the time period he will study and how he chose to display the information. I think it was smart to start this way because he is writing a history novel so just thorough the first paragraphs of the introduction, the reader can gain a more specific idea of the information that will be accounted. Also by stating the reasons behind his organizational methods he shows the reader early on that he has a good grasp of the material, proving himself a reliable narrator. Next he specifies that his target audience is undergraduate students, which is smart because it lets potential buyers no right away if this is the right book for them. Then it runs through an outline of the main topics the novel will cover and the kind of questions the author will be asking and answering in his novel. I think this is effective because it prepares the reader for the writing style of the author and it intrigues the reader to learn more about each topic. Overall his introduction is structured very well and does a good job of telling the reader what his intentions and purpose is with his novel.

New Outline for my new topic- Blog Post 9

Thesis

Disremembered identity

• How monster changes over time as a character
  • Where he gets his identity from
    • See social influence?
    • How monster interacts with society
    • Whats his place etc.
  • Comparison with victor creating himself
    • Victor’s progression as a character over time
    • Childhood days – early monster
    • Days he learning/studying – monster exploring
  • Monster has no place in society
    • Look for articles on society and Frankenstein
    • Identity – physical attributes in the novel/importance of beauty
      • Social commentary?

Chronologically

Identities

Physically

What place does he hold in society?

Males, but a mix – monster

Though they are both men – the monster is almost outside of society so outside the gender binary, his actions are both feminine and masculine

However, you would suggest that instead the monster represents masculinity, a different form of masculinity to victor (who I the academic) but still. Worst side of it.

Outside of society

Barred from other identities

Religious identity not open to him

Victor himself is outside of this, turns his back on god, and tries to become god

Then Frankenstein represents man, but his relation with victor is similar to victors relation to god

Conclusion

Two reflect each other