Junhao Cao “Steven” Blog post #11

I’ve learnt a lot from this course. One of the most significant outcomes is my critical thinking ability and also the ability to either validate or contradict others’ ideas. I would like to refer to one of my previous blog works: a reflection on “Eye in the Sky”.  In that blog post, I briefly summarized the content of the podcast “Eye in the Sky”. Based on the summary, I then took two perspectives and wrote two comments which intentionally contradicts each other. It is the first time I’ve tried to contradict myself. Through this learning process, I was thoroughly inspired. By contradicting myself, I found it especially easy to see the frauds in my own statements. In addition, I learnt that summarizing and understanding others’ ideas before making a comment or analyzation. Otherwise, it is likely to misinterpreting others’ ideas and thus confusing readers. In this specific blog post, I implemented several templates I learnt from our text book “They Say I Say”. For instance, I contradicted my previous opinion by saying “he argues that people should not implement this surveillance system because of the potential risk it creates regardless of its efficiency on solving crimes and keeping the city in order.” In this sentence, I summarized my previous opinion not only to demonstrate that I understand the previous passage, but also prepared myself to refute the previous opinions. Instead of using pale statements, I refuted the previous examples used in the previous passage by pointing out the frauds in those examples. It is doubtlessly easier for readers to follow my article this way since I created an interacting structure. Readers can easily go back to the previous passage and compare the differences between these two perspectives. Furthermore, after providing examples, I had my own explanation and analyzation afterwards. Writers, especially beginners like me, tend to assume that readers will understand their ideas; however, this is usually not true. It is significantly important for writers to include a concise explanation and framing about every example they pick from other sources. By summarizing, analyzing and also framing, writers can vividly portray their ideas to readers.