Mental Health and the Choice to Have a Child

With the prevalence of depression diagnoses in the US, I think it’s time we have a honest discussion about mental health as a health risk when deciding to have a child. Physicians will inquire as to a woman’s physical health, but mental health is often overlooked. We consider weight, smoking status, and activity levels, so why should we not also consider history of mental illness when making the choice to get pregnant? With previous depressive episodes being high indicator of PPD incidence, hopeful mothers should consider their mental status carefully. With the birth of her child, a mother’s sole responsibility is no longer to herself. She must now consider the wellbeing of her baby on equal status as her own. Mental Illness seriously inhibits a woman’s ability to do so. I believe more discussion pre- and mid-pregnancy is necessary. Mental illness is often an overlooked and heavily-stigmatized aspect of health, but including it in the decision to reproduce is something I believe we can no longer afford to do.

I’ve found a couple blogs where women who have pre-existing mental illness or had serious PPD comment on their experiences and how it influences their decision regarding children. Take a read for yourself. They’re very interesing:

http://www.postpartumprogress.com/to-have-or-have-not-should-you-stop-having-children-if-youve-had-postpartum-depression

I Can’t Get Pregnant – I Have Bipolar Disorder

http://www.mommyish.com/2014/01/31/postpartum-anxiety/2/

3 thoughts on “Mental Health and the Choice to Have a Child

1. I really enjoy your perspective on this issue, as it does affect many women in the US as well as across the globe and yet the topic is very stigmatized and therefore not talked about oftentimes. I think that an open attitude toward mental health issues will help at least decrease the prevalence of this issue. If a woman feels trusted and supported by her doctor, she may be more willing to open up about a family or personal history of mental illness. In addition, I do believe that mental health screenings should be a part of prenatal visits as well as during pregnancy itself and after the baby is born. By recognizing such a predisposition to developing PPD, which as you have noted affects the birth outcomes and child development in later life, women can work to decrease their risk of developing PPD. Some examples would be to have therapy sessions with a health professional as well as an open communication with family members and friends. Adequate exercise, sleep and diet patterns may help to decrease one’s risk to developing PPD. In addition, early detection may be aided by having open communication regarding a family history of mental health problems. In all, I hope that we can work to decrease the stigma associated with mental disorders and in this way work to increase early and adequate treatment to reduce negative consequences on the individual and those around them.

2. I completely agree that mental illness should be something that is addressed during prenatal and antenatal care. Mental disorders could cause increases in stress and hormone levels can potentially affect mother and child health outcomes. Making sure that doctors look out for signs of mental illness that could potentially have an impact on a mother’s birth process should become a top priority in today’s health clinics. A WHO article I have read states that 10% of pregnant women and 13% of women that have recently given birth experience a mental disorder, most commonly depression. This is clearly a global health issue that needs to be addressed in the coming years.

Here is the link to the WHO article: http://www.who.int/mental_health/maternal-child/maternal_mental_health/en/

3. I believe that women who have mental illness shouldn’t elect not to have children because of their mental illness. I do realize that postpartum depression is a major illness to be dealt with; however, women without mental illness prior to pregnancy can also experience postpartum depression. I learned in Developing Families that if a women has a mental illness and is on the medication prior to becoming pregnant, the benefits of her continuing on her antidepressant medication, outweighs the risk during pregnancy. I do believe that there needs to be more studies on antidepressant and pregnancy. I also wish for mental illness to be less stigmatized.