Home Based Life Saving Skills

In our nursing program, we learn about the many ways a nurse can intervene when something unexpected occurs during a birth or a pregnancy.  For example, we learn to what instruct women to do when they call our office and note they have not felt fetal movement in a while (perhaps via phone triage).  Also, we learn different methods to alleviate bleeding/hemorrhage after delivery of a baby (like uterine massage).

I really appreciated Dr. Sibley’s Home Based Life Saving Skills talk because it is a simple way to reiterate all the nursing interventions we’ve learned and can utilize when things go left.  The pictures are phenomenal.  I was speaking with Val, and she showed me that these picture booklets are downloadable online (see below).  I really wish I had access to these last year because it would have helped with my care plans and my knowledge.  These skills are not only applicable in the home; they are applicable in any situation and includes the hospital and/or birth center.

It’s really amazing that these nursing interventions I learned are actually just “interventions” without the “nursing” because there is nothing special about them or unique to a nurse with a license.  It’s about being aware about what is happening and when you really need to see a professional.  These HBLSS empower women, families, and the community.  Dr. Foster, you should definitely introduce this website and or booklet(s) to the students in your next Developing Families course.  I think it helps bring things full circle, and there are many non-invasive, non-pharmacological ways to handle potential emergency situations.  Just pee or massage or breastfeed!

Here in the US, I know people take birthing classes on a variety of topics, but HBLSS information should be available (or taught) to people as well…although I don’t know how likely someone will remember information in a crisis or almost-crisis situation.  I can see if being helpful to teach in those American Indian communities that are far from facilities.

There are multiple editions of HBLSS on the website.

American College of Nurse-Midwives.  (2014).  ACNM Publications.  Retrieved from http://www.midwife.org/ACNM-Publications