WAWA Reflection

I firmly believe that having access to green spaces and connecting with the Earth is a fundamental human right. However, as we continue to grow and develop our cities, we are left with more concrete than grasses and trees. There is something very special about forgetting the responsibilities of your life while you focus on pulling invasive species out of the ground or trying to follow the trail markers on a hike. This is why groups like the West Atlanta Watershed Alliance (WAWA) are so essential; they have created a green sanctuary that serves as an escape from the city. 

It was a rainy and rather chilly spring day when we arrived at WAWA, but that didn’t stop anyone’s excitement. Everyone running the event had that contagious kind of enthusiasm that spread among the volunteers, you could tell everyone was excited to spend some time outside. Despite it being a larger group, we all got in a circle and did introductions. I remember being in the last few people to go, and despite so many others going before me, I felt like everyone in the room was listening and genuinely wanted to know who I was. This activity made me feel a little closer to everyone else and helped me feel more connected with my group when we went out into the woods.

I chose to be in the invasive species removal group because I was in the mood to get my hands dirty. The group leader was so passionate about her work at WAWA and you could tell how much she truly cared for the land when she was telling us how to identify english ivy and the best way to pull it. As an environmental science student, I’ve learned a lot about identifying various invasive species and the ecological consequences they pose when things get out of hand. While I have learned quite a bit in the classroom, there is something to be said about actually being out in the woods, pulling ivy with my own two hands, and learning about it from a black woman. I couldn’t stop smiling under my mask. While the service day was cut short due to weather, I still gained so much from the experience and look forward to going back.