Instructure will release updates to our Canvas environment Saturday, July 13, 2019. The highlight of this release is that, in the New Gradebook (which is currently optional in Emory University’s Canvas system and may be activated in a course through Settings > Feature options), the option to mute and unmute assignments will be replaced by a more customizable grade posting policy system:
- By default, grades entered in the New Gradebook (or through Speedgrader) will post automatically and be visible to students.
- Teachers using the New Gradebook may enable manual grade posting at the course or assignment level. Rather than scores and feedback becoming available automatically when entered, teachers must choose to release them if manual posting is enabled. Teachers may post grades for certain sections or for students whose grades have been entered.
- For anonymously graded assignments, grades are not posted automatically. Teachers must post grades manually for all course students at one and the same time to protect anonymity.
- Teachers may hide grades after having posted them.
- Teachers and students using the New Gradebook will see a slashed eye icon for hidden scores instead of a slashed speaker icon.
- Teachers will see the word ‘Hidden’ on graded submissions in SpeedGrader and the Grade Detail Tray in New Gradebook for students whose grades they have not yet posted.
Click here to view the full Canvas release notes for July 13, 2019. The notes contain more details about these and other changes, a link to a screencast explaining some of the changes contained in the release, a comments section, and role-specific user summaries. You can join in the discussion if you log in to the Canvas Community.
This is the final production release to arrive every third week. Henceforth, production feature releases will arrive on the third Saturday of each month. Click here for detailed information about the new release schedule.
Release notes are published in advance at https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/releases/release-notes-canvas.