Baroque Art and Digital Humanities
Baroque Art and Digital Humanities

Baroque Art and Digital Humanities

In my understanding, Baroque art stands for the sort of art that is colorful, loaded, and full of tension. In a world that desires “less is more”, baroque art is totally opposite. Baroque art, especially in the form of architecture, is presenting us with loaded information; sometimes more than necessary. In my personal opinion, I believe it is this kind of artistic choice that gives “life” to the somehow rigid style of architecture from the previous era. Baroque art is also really influential in the world. People can see baroque art all over the world. In this class, I hope to learn more about baroque art not only in terms of architecture but drawing, music, and sculptures. More importantly, I want to understand how baroque art interacts with society.

I think “digital humanities” is a way for scholars to apply modern technology like computers and the internet in the study of humanities (art, history, philosophy, and literature). For example, researchers can write blogs and articles about certain arts, and publish them on the internet so that more people can see them. And different museums would also upload detailed images of their collections online to make them publicly available even when people can not be there physically. The “digital humanities” makes sure that all of our cultural heritage can be made available for everyone instead of sitting in the corner of a building. In this class, I hope to learn more about the different applications for “digital humanities” and how we can contribute to making art more accessible to others.