Humanities in Business | Discussion Post 12

I listened to the podcast Take a ‘Big Picture’ Approach to Business. I was a little surprised that the gentleman mentioned that he majored in English but ended up working in the business industry because I thought those two doesn’t relate at all. He introduced his opinion on how the humanities major helped him in his career. Although there is some work that requires STEM logic, humanities help with the most important part of carrying out a project, which is delivering the ideal or conclusion from the data or numbers to something that ordinary people understand. If nobody is able to communicate in such an understandable way, it is meaningless because all you can do is present numbers and other people won’t know what these numbers mean and what they should do in response. 

I also remember him talking about how humanities give a basic knowledge pool for people to learn anything. Even when he started to work on business and later went into an MBA degree, he was able to take on this challenge easily because his English degree gave him enough background knowledge and basic skills to learn other stuff. 

I think one important thing I learned from this class is from writing the visual analysis paper. I was able to interpret non-text material and put my conclusion into words, which is completely new to me and different from literary analysis. I was able to not only “appreciate” the beauty of art but also put my appreciation into actual words that focus on every detail. I think in the future, I will be able to continue to practice this in the business industry so I will be able to draw my conclusion from different types of sources.