Baroque Art and Digital Humanities
Baroque Art and Digital Humanities

Baroque Art and Digital Humanities

When I just heard the term “Baroque,” it reminded me of the jewelry. The jewelry seems elegant, heavy-looking, and mostly made of diamonds or pearls. With the term “Baroque art,” those 18th-century artworks from Europe, mostly involving religion, have multiple characters in the same piece, they utilize color to make it distinguishable. That was all my understanding of the term “Baroque Arts” before I read Dr. Carmen Ripollés’s article. After reading the article, I learned that many of my understandings of Baroque Arts are not that accurate. For example, Baroque Art originates from Italy, but instead of only being popular in Europe, it is truly a global style that can be found at any time and in any space. While I was reading the article, I learned that Baroque art was not only artwork but could also be sculpture, architecture, glass, and light.

For the term “Digital Humanities,” I would think about people who used these contemporary technologies to create artworks that could be accessed throughout the Internet and people who upload old artworks to the Internet. And the first thing that pops into my mind would be the MET museum website. They uploaded tons of artwork to that website and gave open access to the public with unrestricted use. While reading the article “How art history is failing at the Internet,” provided me with more insights. It mentioned that with new improvements in image recognition software, people could compile these paintings more easily and efficiently. In my opinion, it will help if people could utilize the technologies.