“What are you going to do with that?” Podcast

I listened to the Turn a Passion Into a Career” episode in the “What are you going to Do with That?” podcast. I was surprised by how Kate connected her interest in the Humanities to her work in the restaurant.
In the podcast, Kate mentioned that one of the customers in the restaurant asked her “What do you really do” and could not believe that working in the restaurant is Kate’s real job. In the podcast, I could imagine how excited and proud Kate is to employ the knowledge she learned in her daily job and how she values the opportunity of studying in college.
I believe one thing made Kate successfully combine both her major and her job is that her desire to dip deeper into the field she is studying. Sometimes, we barely recall the knowledge that we have learned and try to apply them to our real life. Instead, we just store it in our “memory palace” and never use it anymore. As time goes on, the knowledge we have learned in college becomes blurry until we could not recall even one word of it. That is something that always happens in our lives and I believe it is inevitable. The only thing we could do to avoid this always actively applies this knowledge, and find the best way to utilize them in our real life. Just like Kate, turn her passion into a career.
I learned Japanese for 2 years when I was in high school. Considering humanities courses, foreign languages were not that useful if we live in an environment where everybody speaks English. However, when I visited Japan with my parents, I successfully used the words and terms I learned from my Japanese class and had simple communication with Japanese to ask for a place. Even though I might not be a translator in the future, I could still use these foreign languages I have learned and communicate with my future customers or coworkers.