Join the Lab

Applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Lived experience related to any of our projects is seen as an asset in this lab (although it is certainly not necessary).

Undergraduate students: Several mentored research positions for Emory undergraduate students are available each semester and over the summer. HEAT Lab undergraduate trainees come from all corners of Emory campus, including NBB, Human Health, Psychology, Religion, Public Health and the Pre-Med track, among others. These positions are competitive and require an application and interview, but you do not need prior research experience to join the lab. Undergraduate students in the HEAT Lab typically receive course credit for their work (I am able to supervise research credits for most programs at Emory), although students are also permitted to volunteer when it best fits their needs. A minimum two semester commitment is generally required, as most of the first semester is spent in training. Please email the HEAT lab with a letter of interest and resume.

Graduate students: I do not currently provide primary mentorship to graduate students in Emory doctoral or Master’s programs, but I do provide research co-mentorship (with permission from your primary advisor) and am able to sit on thesis and dissertation committees for several graduate programs at Emory college. If you are interested in training/co-mentorship through my lab, please email Dr. Kaplan directly.

Residents: I provide primary research supervision to 1-2 Emory School of Medicine residents each year as faculty in the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine. Residents who have research interests in either mind-body medicine or technology and healthcare (or both!) are a good fit for research supervision through the HEAT Lab. Please email Dr. Kaplan directly.

Prospective postdoctoral fellows: At present, I am only able to take postdocs who have secured their own funding for training through mechanisms such as NIH F32 grants (USA applicants) and Fullbright Fellowships (international applicants). So long as your interests and goals are a good fit for the HEAT Lab, I am generally happy to support applications to train in my lab and with my colleagues at Emory. If you would like to discuss a proposal, please email Dr. Kaplan directly.

Visiting scholars: I enthusiastically welcome visiting scholars (professors, postdocs, and trainees from other institutions) whose research experience and training needs are a good match for the HEAT Lab. Currently, I can only take visiting scholars who have secured their own funds for training and research activities. If you are planning to apply for funding or have already secured visiting scholars funds, please email Dr. Kaplan directly to discuss your proposal.