Scholar blog post…week one

After taking the inventory tests, I realized I am well qualified to be a nurse. My Strengths Finder 2.0 test identified my talents as empathy, harmony, developer, relator and achiever. These finding seemed well paired with the nursing profession.  My Blake and Moulton score placed me in the team leader quadrant, but it was close to the center. The Myers Briggs identified ISFJ, but only moderately introverted over extrovert and a balanced brain dominance score.

This testing was interesting for me not only to give insight for my own personal growth, but also because I have always felt certain nurses gravitate, based on his/her personality to certain specialties. It will be fun to see how each of us in class, in our various specialties, are scored in these inventories.

Laura Ellen Prado

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Scholar blog post…week one

1. Laura,
    I love your thoughtfulness into the “how and why” we choose various nursing specialties (or, are they chosen for us and because we have specific tendencies, stay in them?) Great combination of talents and tendencies, and hopefully increasing your awareness of your these will he beneficial to you in the future!
    Dr. W.

2. Olga Turner says:

I think the qualities your results highlighted definitely fit into the nurses role as both a clinician and a leader. I had not thought about the idea that certain personality/leadership styles might influence the specialty area of nursing we choose, however. I think that is an interesting point. I remember once when I was a new grad interviewing for jobs, my interviewer asked me if I was more of a surgical or a medical nurse. At that time, I was not sure, because in nursing school we lump those together in “med-surg”. She explained that she felt that a surgical nurse was someone who needed instant gratification and quick results, whereas the medical nurse is in it for the long haul.

3. Alexandra Finch says:

Laura,

Thank you for sharing your results. I would be curious to see if the physicians with whom your work have similar results on these assessments.

Alex

• Laura Ellen Prado says:

Alex, I agree, it would be interesting to see what the physician’s results would be.
      I was interested in your results, I didn’t think about needing a “plan B” in the ER but rather working with the situation in front of you in regards to patient care. I imagine it would also influence your life outside the ER with the knowledge that each day you wake up, may not turn out as planned, as you had seen while caring for people who presented to the ER unexpectedly.
      Laura