Mackenzie’s M8 Reflection

• In your own words, describe your interpretation of accessibility and Universal Design for Learning (UDL), include the three networks in your brief response.

Universal Design for Learning reminds me of the multiple intelligence theory that was popular about 7 years ago. I am glad that the idea of addressing multiple ways of learning, understanding barriers, and needs is still out there.  I define it as a means to develop curriculum that addresses a variety of learners in the planning stage.  In other words aspects of diversity and needs should be put in the front of the planning process, not an afterthought.  In my course I am designing, I would like to put in a stronger narrative of why they need to improve their English. All the students engaged with ELSP have been accepted as PhD students, the question is, why do they still need to work on their English? I think if I can tap into this, it will help them stay motivated for longer. I think also bringing in their fields of study is really important to maintain engagement.  Regarding representation, I have started to include additional videos and handouts from other institutions to supplement my teaching.  I strongly believe that if you hear a concept from many people and in a few different ways, it can really help.  Also, including some video can break up the monotony of always looking at the written word.  Finally, the area the needs the most work, Action/Expression.  Since I am working on a writing class the product is writing. I am having some challenges in thinking of other ways students can demonstrate their writing knowledge without just writing, but I hope maybe you all have some ideas!

Describe a few things that you think you could do to increase accessibility in your classes. (It’s a work-in-progress, do not feel like it’s something that will happen all at once).
A challenge in a writing class is what other types of material would be good beyond just writing. I think I could introduce more graphic organizers to help students write and analyze.  I also think introducing some text to speech software could be useful.  Here is one my colleague uses: http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/ . These are a few things that I think could help.

• What are some questions that you have about this topic?

I feel like we could have an entire class on this topic, in particular areas of disability. The article “Improve Accessibility in Tomorrow’s Online Courses by Leveraging Yesterday’s Techniques” was really exciting because it not only described the problem, but also provided some solutions. I feel often I do not have enough solutions for students with disabilities. I still feel really uncertain in this area.  How would I provide a language class online when a student is blind?  Or what if they are an ASL speaker, they have the right to learn English as a second language, how would I manage that?

Further, I feel this area is really developed by K-12. From the videos and readings I saw the altruistic view of inspiring learners and tapping into their various interests, but at the graduate level, I don’t know how much of this translates. Sometimes what we do has to be done rather than just relying on tapping into the learner’s interest. Although we take that into consideration, it is hard to teach prepositions in this way..some folks are just not that into language learning.

Finally, I do have a fear of losing all the work. Crafting lessons so that they address a number of students is wonderful. But what happens when that webpage goes down?  What if a student gets a new computer and cannot access an old site? I do have some questions about what we can do about that.

• Take some time to think about where you’ve been, where you’ve come and where you’re going pertaining to teaching in an online/blended classroom. Use images, videos and type of multi-media to tell your story. Describe what resources you have access to and what you think you will need to be successful.

I think before I took this course my view of online teaching was this: A curious user.  I enjoyed playing around with online learning tools but did not have a lot of framework or purpose in using them.  Powered with the new tools from this course I want to make things that will resonate with my students. Ideally I would like to avoid this type of reaction by selecting a technology tool that will reveal my age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7EpEnglgk

However, I know when I consider my audience, get regular feedback and listen I can create lessons and curriculum that will engage and achieve my objectives.  I hope to develop a pronunciation course this summer for learners who are unable to attend regular classes.  I know this will be one of the materials I use: http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/english/frameset-ad3.html

Our department will benefit from the ample materials already online to support language learning, but I am certain we will need to develop materials to address the needs of graduate students.  I do believe there is a lack of materials the higher the level you go, so we will have our work cut out for us.

13 thoughts on “Mackenzie’s M8 Reflection

1. Thanks a lot for the helpful information you bring. Hope you will always give everyone as many great posts as possible in the future.

2. Diverse learning styles including disabilities should 100% be reflected in curriculum planning and early stage preparation. Enabling accessibility options in teaching is very important for those who are unable to learn in normal circumstances, and those students may actually be the gifted ones!

3. Hi there! I’ve always had a fascination in drawing and the arts. I’ve been employed in this industry for a long time. And based on my personal experience, I can affirm that having supplemental equipment on hand is usually beneficial for finishing tasks successfully. To make the best logos, I always use signage. For this reason, I urge you to give it a look!

4. Hi there! I’ve always had a fascination in drawing and the arts. I’ve been employed in this industry for a long time. And based on my personal experience, I can affirm that having supplemental equipment on hand is usually beneficial for finishing tasks successfully. To make the best logos, I always use signage. For this reason, I urge you to give it a look!

5. 14 Ayar Altın Bileklik Modelleri GOLDSTORE Altın Künye, Altın Bileklik Modelleri ve Fiyatları altın çoçuk bileklik fiyatları mean Altın Bileklik Modelleri ve Fiyatları GÜLAYLAR Altın Set Modelleri ve Fiyatları Altın Takı Seti – Trendyol Altın Bileklik Modelleri ve Fiyatları – Altınbaş Çocuk Küpe Modelleri ve Fiyatları 2023 Atasay Altın Bileklik 8, 14, 22 Ayar Bileklik Modelleri Fiyatları Web Sponsorlu. Biggold Altın Rengarenk Yuvarlak 3 mm Renkli Taşlı 3’lü Bileklik. Kadın Altın Mavi 3 Gözlü Doch Bileklik. 11.396,55 … Akıllı Bileklik Modelleri Akıllı Sporcu Bilekliği Çocuk Altın Bilezik Modelleri ve Fiyatları – Altınbaş altın çoçuk bileklik fiyatları mean WebAltınbaş çocuk bilezikleri; çiçekli, nazar boncuklu, uğur böcekli gibi çeşitli modellerde seçilebiliyor. Bilezikler, çeşitleri sürekli yenilenen modelleri ile … Bileklik Modelleri ve Bileklik Fiyatları Düğüm Bileklik

6. Weed burner is a flame tool used for weeding, typically using propane as fuel. It burns weeds by spraying flames to achieve the purpose of weeding. Weed burner usually have adjustable flame size and spray angle, which can quickly remove weeds in gardens, lawns, parks, stone slabs, and other places, and [best weed burner](https://hardell.com/blogs/applications/best-weed-burner-torch) have no pollution to the environment.