As we approach the end of the Fall Semester, the staff of Pitts Theology Library wishes you well on your upcoming work and invites you to rely on the spaces and the resources of the library to help you do your best. As we move into the Finals period, there are a few changes to our practices and policies, designed to help you succeed. Please be aware of the following, and please contact us (http://pitts.emory.edu/ask) if you have any questions. Good luck with your work!
- Extended Hours: From Tuesday 12/11 through Monday 12/17, the library will extend its hours. Opening hours will stay the same, but the library will stay open additional hours at night. For full hours, please visit http://pitts.emory.edu/hours. Please note that the building locks soon after the library closes, so all students will need to leave the Candler School of Theology building complex when the library closes. There are 24-hour study spaces on campus, particularly the Woodruff Library (http://web.library.emory.edu/using-the-library/visiting-the-library/hours/).
- Silent Study Space: From Tuesday 12/11 through Monday 12/17, the library will be a silent study space. We ask that all patrons respect their colleagues and go outside the library for any conversations.
- Pitts Hospitality: During Finals, the library becomes a popular study place for all members of the Emory community. As a part of the Emory community, the library is open to all Emory faculty, students, and staff, and during Finals we often welcome many new patrons to the library. We encourage all to extend hospitality to one another, sharing tables and assistance in the space, while alerting the library staff to any problematic behavior. For our building use policies, please visit http://pitts.emory.edu/policies.
- Snacks Only: Due to higher library use, we make extra efforts to keep the space clean for our patrons and safe for our books. Please remember our food and drink policy, which allows only small snacks that don’t create a mess or odors and only drinks in spill-proof containers. In addition, we ask that you clean up after yourself and alert staff to any spills or clutter needing attention. Please also be aware of how you are disposing of your waste, using the proper recycling and compost receptacles.
- Extra Study Space: The library is happy to open extra study space for students during this busy time. The 3rd Floor Lecture Hall (Room 360) and the 3rd Floor Large Group Study Rooms (368 and 369) will be open as a study space from Tuesday 12/11 through Monday 12/17. If you would like to learn about study space at Pitts, visit http://pitts.emory.edu/map.
- Advanced Booking for Small Group Study Rooms: The 7 small group study rooms are popular during Finals, and so we encourage Candler students to book them early. For Finals, we have extended the advance booking time to 21 days so that you can book now for any day of the Finals period. You can read the room policies and make reservations online at http://pitts.emory.edu/rooms.
- Let Us Know How We’re Doing: Each year the library staff works hard to adjust policies and practices to make the library a welcoming space for good work. If you like what you see or notice something that you think we could do better, please let us know. You can speak to any of our staff and feel free to email me at sbogue [at] emory [dot] edu.