Aid from a distance

I think the “Whats wrong with Innocence” article is one of my favorite articles that we have read this semester. I was especially moved by the the quote

“. While African children have long functioned as exemplary victims, Americans generally help them “over there”—during famines or wars—not “over here.” Donations and humanitarians do the work at a safe distance.”

The author put into words many of the hidden truths of our society and made an issue that is seemingly distant from us as Americans relatable.

Moreover on the topic of innocence, I also resonated with the idea of innocence creating a hierarchy between those that need aid and protection and those that don’t. This creates a situation of inequality and almost subordination for those that are in need of help. As seen in the examples provided in the reading those who are the aid providers get to decide who gets it and how much and have a sense of control over “the innocent”. This makes the innocent even more vulnerable and susceptible to any of the requirements that the aid givers require of them. Innocence being used a criteria to provide aid also creates this system of oppression also makes it difficult for those who are being helped to stand up for themselves due to fear of losing that aid or losing that innocence.