Noah Apter: Blog Post 8

One example where I quote from a primary source was in a discussion of communication from Super Sad True Love Story. I introduce the quote by providing context towards the text I am about to display, stating “On page 88, Vishnu introduces the term/acronym FAC meaning Forming a Community. He states”. After using the quote, I describe how this system of communication related to society and even provide a so what factor describing the use of similar phrases coined in modern society and how the progression of messaging is not that far off. However, I fail to fully explain the meaning of the quotation, but rather allow the quote to explain itself, as it does in a way, and continue to my further analysis. To fix this, I can use the template, “In other words, Shteyngart believes”, describing the quote by defining the system of FAC in other, more relatable terminology.

One example where I use a secondary source was in Blog Post 6 through integrating quotations from Hale’s article “Constructing Connectedness: Gender, Sexuality and Race in Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein” to comment on key concept of pleasure which she argues exists prominently in “Frankenstein”. In the second paragraph, I integrated the quotation “the gaze is the object in which the subject can see himself seeing himself” by stating “Additionally, in promoting the concept of pleasure, Hale close reads the quote”, demonstrating her purpose of the quote in promoting the notion of pleasure. I then analyze her quotation and her interpretation of the quotation to further my argument towards the meaning of her claim, introducing the analysis with “Here…”. In order to perhaps alter the sandwich I created I can change “Here” to “Hale’s point is that…” and then follow up with my analysis.