Sydney Shulman; Blog Post #8

For Blog Post #5, I quoted scenes from Gary Shteyngart’s novel, Super Sad True Love Story, which is considered my “primary source” for my final paper. I made references to specific parts of the novel, such as the credit poles on pages 54-55, internet stalking on pages 37-39, and the Staten Island bar scene on pages 90-92. I used these quotations to extend my arguments about surveillance in our current society after introducing the relevance of the novel itself to the topic. I included brief explanations of each scene and how they related to the position I was arguing. Rephrasing these quotations from Super Sad True Love Story is difficult using the templates on pages 46-47 of They Say, I Say, as those appear to be primarily for gathering evidence and arguments from texts. According to Lenny, “the old Chinese woman had a decent 1400 [credit score], but others, the young Latina mothers, even a profligate teenaged Hasid puffing down the street, were showing blinking red scores below 900, and I was worried for them” (Shteyngart, pg. 54).

For Blog Post #6, I analyzed Jessica Hale’s article about Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. This is my considered “secondary source.” On a number of instances, Hale directly quotes from Frankenstein, such as discussing how pages 17 and 18 depict an abnormal family unit. This was introduced in a section discussing Hale’s quoting of Frankenstein, and was related to the topic at hand of analyzing the article itself. Another way of phrasing this quotation is as follows: In Hale’s view, “Schoene-Harwood identifies Alphonse and Henry as “men who feel secure enough in their masculinity to display feelings of domestic affection…who seem perfectly balanced in their manliness which incorporates rather than categorically excludes the feminine” (Schoene-Harwood 16)” (Hale, pg. 13).