Satty Blog Post 8

One blog post in which I quoted from a primary source was blog post #4 in which I quoted from Gary Shteyngart’s Super Sad True Love Story. For this blog post I was discussing how it was disturbing that Lenny could access private information that should not be accessible to the public and used a quotation to give examples of information that Lenny was looking at such as cholesterol level and clothing preference. I stated: “I find it very disturbing that on page 38 Lenny can find out that Sally’s ‘LDL cholesterol was way beneath the norm’ and that ‘The Park sisters favored extra-small shirts in strict business patterns’ etc. These are not normal things that one should be able to find on the internet about another person.” I introduced the quotation by saying “Lenny can find out that…” and then inserted my quotations and created the sandwich by stating that these things that Lenny can find online should not be accessible to the public and how it is disturbing that the society runs in this fashion. Using a template on page 47, I could say: According to Lenny, Sally’s “LDL cholesterol was way beneath the norm” and that “The Park sisters favored extra- small shirts in strict business patterns” and in making this information accessible to Lenny, Shteyngart’s point is that the public has too much access to private information. 

One blog in which I quoted from a secondary source was blog post #6 where I quoted Jessica Hale’s article “Constructing Connectedness: Gender, Sexuality and Race in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.” I stated that “Hale continues this argument by explaining the ‘homosocial relationship’ and demonstrating how throughout the novel, the intimate relationship between two men is more desired than an intimate relationship between a man and a woman (marriage is a ‘second-best alternative to the intimate male homosocial relationship’) (Hale 13).” I think I introduced the first part, but the part in parentheses could be better worded. Instead of parentheses I could have said in a new sentence: Hale states that in this novel, marriage is a “second- best alternative to the intimate male homosocial relationship” and thus Hale’s point is that Shelley argues that women are thought to be beneath the men in the social hierarchy of this time period.