Steven Cao Blog Post #8

Primary Source:

“The page I chose was page 88. On that page, Lenny and his friends FAC (From A Community) with a group of ladies in a bar and compare their information such as “Fuckability”, “Personality” and “Sustainability”. This scene makes me feel dystopian not only because of the lack of privacy but also the void of humanity. Human beings are supposed to contact with each other through words and gestures.”

I integrate this quotation from primary source directly since I want to introduce the scene to readers. However, this way of introduction might seem too abrupt and fails to provide enough content. I quote this part of the story in order to draw a relationship between the picture I chose for that assignment and the novel.

Secondary Source

“In Jessica Hale’s article “Constructing Connectedness: Gender, Sexuality and Race in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein”, she reveals four “relational trajectories” known as familial, homosocial, sexual, and racial in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein by including and referencing to contemporary criticisms. The author then suggests that “these four levels of human interconnectedness” oppose the stability which the society “sought to establish” among families and races in the nineteenth century and thus exposing the fragility behind.”

I refer to this author’s article in order to demonstrate the relationship between the author’s article and my essay proposal. The quotation is essentially the author’s thesis statement, which explicitly expresses the author’s major idea. The way I quote this quotation is fusing the author’s original content with my own words. This way is rather effective and vivid instead of quoting the author’s words verbatim.

Rework

Primary

In Gary Shteyngart’s novel Super Sad True Love Story, the author attributes “Fuckability”, “Personality” and “Sustainability” as quantitative data to human beings. Basically, Shteyngart admonish that the seemingly easy way to socialize corrupts our society and eliminates humanity.

Secondary

Writing in the journal “Constructing Connectedness: Gender, Sexuality and Race in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein”, Jessica Hale complains about “the stability which the society sought to establish among families and races in the nineteenth century”. In making this comment, Jessica demonstrates the essence of her argument is to expose the fragility behind those superficial harmony.