Savannah Ramsey Blog Post 8

In blog post two, I used a primary source where I stated “On page 38, Lenny, while looking for information about Eunice, comes across her and her sister’s purchases that are mostly comprised of boutiques in L.A. and New York, footwear, and expensive socks.  During his analysis, he feels the need to save them from themselves and ‘the idiotic consumer culture that was bleeding them softly.’”  I introduced the quote, and gave background information in the novel that pertains to that point, so that readers could understand what was being said without having to read the novel.  I didn’t relate the quote to my argument until later, but it would be beneficial to tie in this point before making the next one, which could be accomplished by adding in a sentence or two after the quote talking about the socioeconomic issue faced in this novel that is mirrored in our own society.  I also could have moved, “The novel seems to comment on the societal obsession of consumer culture, and how this dangerous cycle is connected to the financial crisis of America” to follow the quote in order to clarify how this relates to what I’m saying.

I used a secondary source in blog post five, where I expressed, “As Nilles bluntly states, ‘technology seems to be subtly destroying the meaningfulness of interactions we have with others’ and nothing can replace the face-to-face connection of body language, facial expressions, and the attention of another.” I introduced the quote with “as Nilles bluntly states” and made it flow into my writing and opinion by explaining its meaning and using it in my argument to give validity to my points.  I also used it as a platform to build off of for my argument.  I could explain it differently by adding in “the essence of her argument is that” after the quote from her article so that her points are very apparent.